Dr. Chuck Ward
Dr. Chuck Ward
Associate Professor, Department Chair
Phone: (717) 871-2098
T: 2:00 - 3:30 PM
W: 10:00 AM - 12:00 Noon
R: 12:30 - 2:00 PM
Comments: or by appointment
- B.S. in Marine Biology, California State University, Long Beach, 1983
- M.A. in Philosophy, California State University, Long Beach, 1989
- M.A. in Philosophy, Johns Hopkins University, 1993
- Certificate of Graduate Studies, Center for History and Philosophy of Science, Johns Hopkins University, 1995.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, Johns Hopkins University, 2001
Teaching & Research Interests
- Philosophy and History of Science (especially Biology)
- Philosophy of Mind
- History of Philosophy
- Environmental Philosophy
- “Evolutionary Psychology and the Problem of Neuroplasticity” Philosophy of Behavioral Biology. Thomas Reydon and Kathryn Plaisance, eds. Boston Studies in Philosophy of Science series. Springer 2012.
- (with Steven Gimbel.) “Retroductive Analogy: How to and How Not to Make Claims of Good Reasons to Believe in Evolutionary and Anti-Evolutionary Arguments.” Argumentation 24: 71-84, 2010.
- (with Matthew Johnson) “An Eye for an I? A Reply to Mandik on Wittgenstein on Solipsism.” Analysis and Metaphysics 8: 30-43, 2009.
- “Mama Tried: Biological Determinism and the Nature-Nurture Distinction.” In The Grateful Dead and Philosophy, Steven Gimbel, ed. Volume 28 in the Popular Culture and Philosophy series, George A. Reisch, series editor. Open Court Publishing, 2007