English Language Institute
ELI Mission Statement
As part of Global Education, the English Language Institute at Millersville University equips English Language Learners for a successful transition into U.S. university programs, where they participate fully as confident members of the campus and local community.
To achieve this mission, the ELI will:
- Prepare English language learners for academic and professional success through progressive levels of instruction in a student-centered environment.
- Support English language learners throughout their student journey by providing individualized academic and student services.
- Engage students in diverse learning opportunities, not only in the classroom, but through civic service, trips and social activities.
About the English Language Institute
Welcome to the English Language Institute at Millersville University!
The English Language Institute (ELI) provides six levels of intensive English instruction designed to meet the academic needs of international students attending Millersville University. Full-time ELI students receive a minimum of 18 hours of English instruction and 4 hours of supervised language lab work per week, depending on the program. Classes are taught by dedicated, experienced instructors trained in English as a Second Language instruction and holding a master’s degree or higher. In addition to language and academic instruction, the ELI offers students several cultural events, outside of class activities and trips to local and regional attractions, such as nearby locations like Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore and historic Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
The 14- and 10-week intensive English courses offered at the ELI are non-credit classes, but act as a bridge enabling students to meet admissions requirements for enrollment into the many programs offered at Millersville University – both at the undergraduate and graduate level. This offers a tremendous advantage to students to begin their time of study in the U.S. and step into their academic program, especially if achieving a high enough TOEFL or IELTS score had been a challenge. While attending the ELI, students may earn up to 15 credits toward their academic major through concurrent enrollment during levels 4, 5 and 6. Successful completion of ELI levels 4, 5 and 6, will allow students to step into their academic major full-time and equip them to be successful throughout their academic career at Millersville University and beyond.
If a long-term English program does not fit the needs or schedule of students, the ELI also offers a variety of short-term programs ranging from 2- 8 weeks. Topics include:
- Intensive Academic English
- English for Specific Purposes (such as business, health sciences, STEM, etc.)
- School Administrator Program
- Teacher Training
- Test Preparation (TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, GMAT, etc.)
- American Culture
- College Immersion (for high school students)
Click below for more information on applying: