ARRIVING AT MILLERSVILLE - NEXT STEPS
PREPARING FOR YOUR MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE
The Office of International Programs and Services is here to help you prepare for a successful transition to the U.S. and university life. This includes helping you understand and secure the necessary documentation you and your family members will need to enter the U.S as an international student, and maintain your status once you’re arrived. Please contact the office with any additional questions at International.Services@Millersville.edu.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:
STEP 1: RECEIVE YOUR IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS
- Your immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019) is included in the packet mailed to you. Please double-check the documents for any errors.
- Students already in the U.S. on a student visa should complete the Transfer In Form with their current immigration officer and email it to International.Services@Millersville.edu.
STEP 2: CHOOSE YOUR HOUSING
- Millersville University freshman and any students with fewer than 60 credits must live on campus. Read about on-campus housing here.
- The Office of International Programs and Services will work with exchange students regarding their specific housing option(s).
- Information on exceptions to the on-campus housing requirement can be found on the MU Housing website.
- If you are approved to live off-campus more information regarding off-campus housing refer here.
STEP 3: OBTAIN YOUR STUDENT VISA
- Pay the REQUIRED SEVIS Fee online at fmjfee.com.
- Review the visa appointment Practice Questions.
- Schedule an appointment at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy to apply for the F-1 or J-1 Student Visa.
- Bring your SEVIS fee receipt, Millersville University admission letter, official bank statements, I-20 or DS-2019 Form, and passport with you to this appointment.
- Visit travel.state.gov for more information on obtaining a visa.
- Inform the Office of International Programs and Services on the outcome of your visa appointment.
STEP 4: ACCESS YOUR MU ACCOUNTS
- The Office of International Programs and Services will email you your Millersville ID (M number), username, password, and Millersville email address.
- Be sure to log in to your account before coming to MU and remember your password. You will use your accounts during orientation and need to be able to login.
STEP 5: COMPLETE YOUR HEALTH EVALUATION FORM
- The Health Evaluation Form is required of all students attending Millersville University. Students will not be permitted to attend classes at MU or live in the university arranged housing without completing them.
- All forms must be completed in English or be submitted with a certified translation.
- Completing your Health Evaluation Form is a lengthy process, so we strongly suggest that you start working on them immediately. You can find instructions for completing the form HERE.
- Completed forms should be sent to Millersville University Health Services, as is outlined in the packet.
STEP 6: PURCHASE HEALTH INSURANCE
- All Millersville students are required to have health insurance.
- Read about health insurance requirements and options for international students before purchasing your health insurance.
- Insurance coverage start date should be your arrival date in the U.S., or the start of orientation if you currently live in the U.S.
- Read the Health Insurance Form and Waiver and email proof of insurance to International.Services@Millersville.edu. If you already have health insurance other than our suggestion, complete the included health insurance waiver and send it to the email address above before arriving to Millersville University.
To enter the U.S. you will need the following documents:
- Millersville University I-20 Form for F-1 students or DS-2019 Form for J-1 students
- A valid F-1/J-1 visa* (the visa stamp in your passport) issued by the U.S. embassy/consulate in your country of origin
- A valid passport
- Your SEVIS fee receipt
* Canadian citizens do not have a visa stamp in their passports.
ENTERING THE U.S. AND THE I-94 FORM
Please be advised that you may not enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the start date in section 5 on your I-20 or on your DS-2019. When you enter the U.S. you will be registered with an I-94 number, which you can find online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home. Select “Get Most Recent I-94.”
DEPARTING AND RE-ENTERING THE UNITED STATES
When you re-enter the United States, you should expect more thorough screening procedures at airports and other ports of entry. Your identity and the validity of your visa and immigration document I-20 or DS-2019 will be checked against U.S. law enforcement databases.
You may also be subject to in-depth questioning about your immigration status, travel history, the purpose of your visit, background, and other issues, and potentially inspection of personal belongings and luggage, photocopying of documents, etc. You can potentially be delayed by a “secondary inspection” if you do not have proper documents, had some previous immigration problem or error, or simply fall under certain criteria or circumstance.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS?
If you have specific questions regarding the entry process for international students please contact International.Services@Millersville.edu.