What Are Cookies?
What Kind of Cookies Are Used?
Millersville University uses both first-party and third-party cookies on our website.
The first-party cookies used are issued by the millersville.edu domain. They serve many purposes (outlined in the “Types of Cookies” section below), generally to render basic website functionality, location preferences, and more.
In addition, third-party cookies belonging to other parties, including business partners and service providers, are used by the website. The cookies (outlined below) are used for advertising, and more. Specifics on these cookies are outlined in the “Third-Party Cookies” section below.
Types of Cookies
In general, there are four categories of cookies that millersville.edu uses:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are essential to the basic functionality of the website, such as to access secure areas of the site and to log on to your user account.
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies help us to tailor the website to provide enhanced features and content based on how you have used the website previously and set up other customization, such as language preferences, remembering usernames, and geolocation. The information tracked by these cookies may be anonymous and not used to track your browsing activity on other sites.
- Analytical Cookies: These cookies collect information about how you use our website. The cookies tell us which pages you visit, how often, errors encountered, and how we can improve your experience. These are generally collected for statistical purposes and do not contain personal information, such as name or email address.
- Targeting and Advertising Cookies: These cookies provide information about user interaction with our content to help us and third parties (including advertisers) deliver relevant advertisements and to measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. However, these cookies are anonymous and cannot be linked to your user account.
How Long Will Cookies Remain?
Cookies stay on your device(s) for differing amounts of time, depending on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie:
- Persistent cookies: These cookies are used to remember your preferences on the website, to analyze user behavior to establish patterns of usage and preferences, and to improve functionality of the website. They remain on your computer or device until they expire or they are deleted by you. They persist even after you close the browser and restart your computer.
- Session cookies: These cookies are used to remember your activity during the course of the current website visit. They are temporary and only stay on your computer or device only until you stop the current browsing session.
How to Manage Cookie Preferences
For any questions, concerns, or requests to exercise your rights outlined in this privacy notice, please contact us via email at email@example.com or phone at 717-871-7777.