Steps to Working on Campus

STEP 1 - Getting Hired

Finding a Job

There is no central place on campus or online for students to find an on-campus job at Millersville. There are two approaches to take:

  • Contact different professors, departments or offices directly to ask about job openings or future positions. Such as: Housing, Dining Services, Information Technology, McNairy Library, Student Memorial Center, University Store, Fitness Center, Tech Ops, Banking Center, Ticket Sales Office and others. 
  • Review the "Ville Daily" that is sent to your student email during the semester for new job listings.

Verification Letter

When you have a job offer from an employer, contact the Office of International Programs & Services (IPS) at IPS will email you an Employment Verification Form that you must give to your employer to complete. This is necessary to receive a Social Security Number. 

STEP 2 - Social Security Number

Getting a Social Security Number

In order to be authorized to work, receive money for work, pay taxes, or open up a bank account at certain banks in the United States, you need a Social Security number. The social Security Number is also known as a Tax Identification Number. It is a code that the government uses to track and report on a person’s earned income. 

How do I get a Social Security Number? 

  • First, you need a job offer from an on-campus employer.
  • Then email IPS with your employer’s information so we can send them the Employment Verification Form. 
  • Apply for your Social Security Number at the Social Security Administration. You do not need to make an appointment but may experience a wait time. IPS can drive you if needed. This process can take around 2.5 hours depending on the day/time. 

What do I need to bring with me to the Social Security Office? 

STEP 3 - Clearances

In order to get paid, you will need to start the three backgrounds checks below. IPS will send you the detailed information to complete the clearance process when you indicate you have a job offer.  

  • Act 34 (Criminal Record Check): Before you can begin work as a student employee and be put onto university payroll, you need to complete Clearance Act 34. The first background check can be completed online and there is no fee. The results are not returned to you.
  • Act 114 (FBI Federal Criminal History): The second background check requires you to register online, pay a fee, and get your fingerprints taken either on-campus or at a designated site (some UPS stores). The results will be mailed to the address you provide. You must hand in to Human Resources proof that you have begun the process, and then hand in your original copy of the clearance once it is complete.  
  • Act 151 (Child Abuse History): The third background check can be done online and requires you to input every address you’ve lived at for the past 10 years. 

For detailed instructions on the three clearances, read the Human Resource Clearance document.

STEP 4 - Getting on Payroll

In order to get on payroll: Other paperwork needs to be completed with the Human Resources Department and Payroll Office. You must have the above clearances completed and then go in person to fill out the following forms:

  • Form W-4
  • Form I-9
  • Request for Exception to Normal Student Enrollment Employment Requirement

International Students: All international student employees must come to the Payroll Office to complete their W-4 and I-9 forms. International students are required to bring their passport, visa, I-20 and social security card with them. For federal withholding purposes, the State System does not honor tax treaties. All International Students are required to complete their W-4 claiming Single, 1 exemption and writing NRA on line 6.

Link to the Payroll Website

**Having a U.S. Bank account and getting Direct Deposit is highly suggested, so that you do not need to wait to get paid, and to cash a check in person**