Employment Policy

Eligibility to be Paid on the Student Payroll

In order to be paid by Millersville University on the student payroll, you must currently be enrolled as a graduate or undergraduate student at Millersville University. Exceptions may be requested by the employing department under the following circumstances:

  • A student may begin working one semester/session preceding enrollment as a student. For example, a student may begin to work the summer prior to commencing studies.

  • A local high school student may be employed in certain difficult-to-fill positions in vital operations such as Dining Services when Millersville students are not available.

  • A student enrolled at another college may be employed over summer in certain areas when Millersville students are not available.

Students are not permitted to work for the University via a temporary employment agency or on the regular Staff Payroll at the same time they are employed on the Student Payroll.

Maximum Hours of Employment

Students employed on the Student Payroll may work up to a maximum of 60 hours per pay period (30 hours per week) when the University is in session.  This includes examination periods and weeks in which a holiday occurs.  The maximum hours per pay period includes all hours worked, whether in one department or multiple departments.

International Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week in compliance with INS regulations, which overrides University Policy.

During the summer or semester breaks, all students (including Internationals) may work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.  No student may work over 40 hours total per week.

The Payroll Office will notify students and student supervisors if permitted maximum hours are exceeded.  If the excessive hours continue, and no exception to the maximum hours has been requested or approved, the Payroll Office will terminate the student's employment with the University.

Finding a Job on Campus

Students have the option of working on-campus in any area where employment is available.  There are two methods for finding a job:  you can go to the department(s)/office(s) that may be of interest to you, or you can check the job postings on the Career Services website.

Students are permitted to work in more than one department, as long as they don't exceed the maximum hour policy.

Millersville University does not have specially selected jobs available for students receiving Federal Work Study funding; however, the Community Service Learning Program is designed strictly for students who receive Federal Work Study money.  The Financial Aid office will have more information concerning the details of these jobs.