Welcome to the Department of Chemistry at Millersville University. Our American Chemical Society approved programs of study offer students the opportunity for a basic and comprehensive study in the field of chemistry.
Students benefit from a common core of courses that provide basic theory and skills vital for all degree programs leading to the bachelor’s degree in chemistry. The recommended course sequence during the first year is identical for all programs and differs only slightly through the junior year; thus any change in career emphasis in chemistry need not delay graduation.
All chemistry lectures, recitations and laboratories are taught by eleven experienced faculty, all of whom hold Ph.D. degrees. Chemistry majors are each assigned an advisor within the department who advises them on course work, research projects, graduate school selection and careers. The department's well-equipped laboratories give our students ‘hands-on’ training in the application and use of our equipment.
Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) Dates, Times and Locations
- Students needing to register for Introductory Chemistry I (CHEM 111) have to meet both of the following requirements:
- Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) to place in CHEM 111 (a grade of C- or higher in CHEM 110 will waive that requirement)
- Math Placement Test (MPT) of MATH 160 or higher (a grade of C- or higher in MATH 101 will waive that requirement)
- The Chemistry Department will administer the CPT on the following dates during Spring 2016:
- Thursday, August 25, 2016, Time:1:30pm, Location: Caputo 210 (No registration is required)
The CPT test is 30 minutes long. It has approximately 20-30 multiple choice questions. Students need only a pencil to take the exam.
There is no need to 'preprare' for the exam. The material in the exam includes: Nomenclature, conversions, scientific notation, simple algebra, balancing equations, information obtained from a chemical formula, and subatomic particles in an atom/ion.
If you would like to visit the Millersville University Chemistry Department, please contact us at (717) 871-4297, and we will arrange to give you a tour of our facilities and labs.