About the selection of speakers and honorary degree recipients
How do I nominate an individual for an honorary degree or to speak at MU's Commencement?
Members of the MU community may make a nomination using this form.
Who can make a nomination for a speaker or recipient of an honorary degree?
All members of the MU community — faculty, students, staff, alumni and benefactors — are invited to nominate worthy individuals for this important recognition.
When is the deadline to submit nominations?
The deadline to submit nominations are:
- Nominations for Fall Commencement: February 15
- Nominations for Spring Commencement: October 15
However, the earlier that nominations are received before commencement, the better.
Are current or past employees of Millersville University eligible to be nominated for either speaker or honorary degree recipient?
Yes, and like other candidates, they must exhibit the criteria listed here.
Why does the University award honorary degrees?
By awarding honorary degrees, the University seeks to:
- Honor those whose actions reflect the mission of Millersville University and its nearly over 150-year-old campus.
- Recognize the outstanding scholarly, professional, service and innovative achievements of members of the local, national or international communities
- Promote the efforts to maintain and improve the quality of life for all persons
- Build the University's reputation of recognizing and honoring deserving individuals known and highly respected for accomplishments in their fields.
Why does this process have to remain confidential?
To respect the privacy and reputation of all involved, the University requests and requires that all submitted nominees remain confidential. The nominee should not be informed of his or her nomination, because not all excellent candidates can be recognized, and knowledge of a failed nomination can be embarrassing and hurtful.
How are the final recipients chosen?
Nominations will be vetted by the University Commencement Speaker Committee, which includes representation from students, faculty, staff and administration. The University's Council of Trustees will make the final decision.
When are honorary degrees awarded?
They may be awarded each year at Spring or Fall Commencement. Find the date of this year's commencements on the University's Commencement webpage.
Should the nominee's accomplishments reflect the University's mission?
Yes, the nominee's accomplishments should be consistent with the University's mission to pursue truth and for the service of humanity. Candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds will be considered, but their actions and publicly stated beliefs should not directly conflict with the University's mission.