If you have a bachelor's degree and would like to be certified to teach in the State of Pennsylvania or would like to add another Instructional area of certification to your present certificate, you will need to apply to our Post-Baccalaureate certification program. Simply click on the "Admissions" tab above left; then "Graduate Admissions Home"; then "Apply Now". Use the online application to quickly set up your application account and Start TODAY! It is not necessary to complete a second degree to be certified.
Effective with the Fall 1997 semester all students seeking their initial (first) instructional (teaching) certificate must be admitted to Advanced Professional Studies (A.P.S.). A GPA of 3.0 or greater is required. Effective Spring 2010, a GPA below 3.0 and above 2.8 will be accepted; however, higher scores on the Praxis II content examination(s) will be required in order to meet final Certification requirements in PA.
- Application must be made through the Graduate Studies Office for admission as a post-baccalaureate certification student. Both undergraduate and graduate courses may be taken under this application procedure.
- When application has been completed, transcripts and work records will be evaluated with the coordination of the Certification Office. Persons seeking certification in secondary content areas as well as Music and Art are evaluated in their specialty areas by personnel in the content departments. Evaluation in pedagogical training is made by the Certification Officer. Applicants in Early Childhood, Reading Specialist, Counselor Education, School Psychology, Industrial Arts and Technology Education, and Special Education are evaluated by personnel in the appropriate program departments. All evaluations are done on an individual basis. All students are given written statements listing requirements over the signature of the Certification Officer and may discuss them with appropriate personnel at any time.
- Substitutions of graduate level courses for basic undergraduate requirements are routinely indicated in professional education. In subject matter areas such arrangements may be made by students through consultation with appropriate departmental faculty who shall report the changes to the Certification Officer.
- Application for inclusion in the intern teacher certification program may be made to the Certification Officer by a student who is fully enrolled and participating in a post-baccalaureate certification program. The decision concerning eligibility for intern status is made on an individual basis by the Certification Officer after thorough consultation with appropriate faculty in the School of Education.
- Intern candidates must maintain continuous and satisfactory progress. All other post-baccalaureate certification students may proceed on such part-time basis as fits their needs with the exception of any required student teaching experience.
- Post-baccalaureate certification students in secondary content areas are advised by designated personnel within the appropriate departments.
- The Certification Officer monitors progress in fulfilling requirements and determines when application for certification will be made.