International Field Placement/Internship/Service Learning Opportunities
7 Reasons to Internationalize:
1. Consistent with social work’s history
2. Global society
3. Increases self-awareness about values and abilities
4. Teaches flexibility and adaptation to change
5. Advances human rights and social economic justice
6. Promotes ethical engagement
7. Prepares for working with diverse populations
A Global Citizen….
1. Is aware of the world
2. Has a sense of personal role in the world
3. Respects and values diversity
4. Understands how the world works
5. Is outraged by social injustice
6. Engages in the community
7. Takes action
8. Takes personal responsibility
Cape Town, South Africa
BSW SOWK 401, 402
Social Work majors are able to complete their senior field placement abroad during their last semester at Millersville. Social Workers fulfill the Department of Social Work's requirements for their senior placement and take MU courses while conducting their placement in an international location. Students are able to gain professional hands on experience by working with grassroots and/or support organizations. Students are able to mantain contact with their Field Liason through email, D2L, and Skype throughout this 12 week experience. For more information, click here.
Cape Town, South Africa
January 2-16, 2016
Guided by Millersville's official partner, Volunteer Adventure Corps (VAC), this alternative winter break service learning trip will be headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa. This service learning trip is designed to enhance participants' knowledge, skills, and values for professional functioning within a diversity-embracing environment. The particular focus is on exploring historical, social, and political factors that have shaped South Africa and influenced the socio-economic status of its people. Students will engage in a number of field trips, discussions, and hands-on learning activities as we examine global poverty, human needs, and economic justice. Participants can choose to earn college credit; all participants will earn continuing education credits.
- Trip to Johannesburg
- Robben Island
- District Six Museum
- Tour of Bo Kaap
- Cape Point
- Apartheid Museum
- Authentic African Cuisine and Music
- Students will also visit a number of NGOs working with those in poverty to learn how they are assisting at the micro and macro levels, as well as have opportunities to volunteer.
To apply, click here: http://www.millersville.edu/globaled/studyabroad/muca/South%20Africa-WINTER.php
For further information, contact Dr. Karen Rice at email@example.com
There are also several opportunities for a traditional study abroad experience in various countries to complete courses at a university in the chosen country. The best time to complete this type of international experience would be during the sophomore year (prior to beginning social work practice sequence courses. The Social Work Department will work with the Office of Global Education and be a part of your study abroad experience.