Fall 2014 Student Teachers
Dean's Seminar on Interviewing
Friday, October 17, 2014
8:30 – 9:45 a.m. Presentation on interviewing for a teaching position – Stayer Multi-Purpose Room.
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Mock interviews by school district administrators and pre-selected student teachers in front of peer groups, followed by Q & A. UPDATE: Please click HERE for a full agenda of the Mock interviews. This agenda will let you know which session you should attend - please check under the column 'Department' to determine your designated interview to observe.
11:15 – 12:45 p.m. Technology Showcase - Stayer MPR. Drop-in format – students may arrive any time between 11:15 and 12:30 - Register for Door Prizes!! You could win a Kindle Fire!!
11:00 – 2:00 p.m. Optional - Resume critique services offered by Experiential Learning & Careen Management (ELCM) staff in Stayer 114. Drop off your resume when arriving in the morning and get feedback from ELCM staff later in the day (limited number of same-day service appointments available).
UPDATE: A parking pass is not required as long as you park in the lots around Stayer & Lyle Hall or the parking garage during this event. Also, a Student Teaching Absence Form is not required for this day. If you have already submitted a form it will not count against you.
NOTE: Students with new second half placements may be scheduled to meet with their supervisor in afternoon.
Please dress professionally! Plan your arrival so that you will be seated by 8:30am.
First Day Meeting
Friday, August 22, 2014
Winter Visual and Performing Arts Center
Biemsderfer Concert Hall
8:00am – 2:30pm
(If you already sent your RSVP from the reminder email you do not need to reply again)
CHANGE OF LOCATION:
At the April 2014 Orientation Meeting we notified you that our First Day Meeting would be held in the SMC Multipurpose Room however the location has now changed! We will be meeting in the Winter Visual and Performing Arts Center next to Stayer Hall instead. Biemsderfer Concert Hall is located right inside the entrance of the Winter Center that faces West Cottage Ave.
HOW TO DRESS AND WHAT TO BRING:
- Be sure to dress professionally!
- Review, print and bring the following documents:
REMINDER: Make sure you have the original copies of your clearances and TB test results with you on the first day of your student teaching assignment.
LUNCH, FOOD AND DRINKS DURING THE MEETING:
You will be given an hour lunch break during the meeting – The Cove and Lyle Hall will be open or you can pack a lunch. Do not bring anything that will spoil since refrigeration will not be available. The Galley, The Anchor and Gordinier Hall will also be open but they will be busy serving the Freshman Orientation Program.
Also, we ask that you refrain from bringing open drinks or snacks into Biemsderfer Concert Hall. You will be asked to discard these items before entering the auditorium. You are allowed to bring in a packed lunch as long as you do not eat or drink while in the auditorium.
ARE YOU LIVING IN A DORM DURING THE FALL SEMESTER?
If you will be living in a dorm during your student teaching semester you will be allowed to move into your dorm room on Thursday, August 21st between 1:00pm-4:00pm provided you have contacted the Housing Department in advance. It is your responsibility to contact the Housing Department to request early access to your dorm room. Please contact the Housing Department by calling (717) 872-3162 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office will verify with the Housing Department that you need early access. Also, be sure to indicate on the RSVP form that you will be living in a dorm.
WHO WILL BE MY SUPERVISOR?
You will be sent an email on Thursday, August 21st with the name of your supervisor for your first half or full semester supervisor. We are literally working up until the last minute making changes so expect the email late in the day. Your email will also include the date, time and location of your meeting with your supervisor.
Remember to complete the online RSVP Card above!
See you on the 22nd!
ATTENTION FALL 2014 STUDENT TEACHERS
Please mark your calendars now for this important event!
Monday, April 21, 2014
6:00pm - 8:00pm
This meeting is MANDATORY!
If you have a conflict due to a class, please contact the Student Teaching Office at least two weeks prior to the meeting at email@example.com.
Be sure to bring your proof of liability insurance to this meeting. Instructions for obtaining liability insurance can be found below under Part C of the Intent Packet.
The Student Teaching Intent Packet has been broken into three parts for the Fall 2014 semester. Please read carefully so that you will know the due dates for each part.
PART A of the Student teaching Intent Packet - DUE ASAP!
- 1. Placement Information Form: Please click on this link to complete the online Placement Information Form. You will NOT need to submit a hard-copy of this form; simply click on the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the form when you have finished. Your information will be automatically routed to the Student Teaching Office.
NOTE: Be prepared to list your early field experiences. Once you have started the online form you will not be able to save it for further updates. It should take about 10-15 minutes to complete this form.
PART B of the Student Teaching Intent Packet - DUE FEBRUARY 14, 2014!
UPDATE: Due to the impending snow storm, the due date for Part B of the Student Teaching Intent Packet has been extended until Wednesday, February 19, 2014.
Please read all instructions carefully. Your name will not be added to our official Fall 2014 student teaching roster until Part A has been submitted electronically and Part B has been submitted to Room 120, Stayer Hall (see below). Part B will only be accepted if complete; incomplete submissions will be returned to you for completion.
- 1. Memorandum of Understanding: Please click on this link to access this form. Please read carefully and "checkmark" all designated statements and questions electronically. Print, sign and date the form.
- 2. Background Information Forms: Four (4) hard-copies of this form are required. Please click on the link to complete this form electronically; print, sign, date and staple each copy. IMPORTANT: This form must be typed. Please complete this form in a professional manner since it will be shared with your cooperating teacher(s) and your university supervisor(s).
- 3. Obtain Current Clearances: Fall 2014 Student Teaching requires that you have clearances on file in the Field Services Office dated December 14, 2013 or later (NO EXCEPTIONS). Please click on the link for instructions to obtain new clearances and read these instructions carefully. Please click on the following links to see what each clearance submission should look like: Act 34 Criminal Record Check, Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance, Act 114 FBI Fingerprinting Clearance.
- 4. Obtain TB Test Results: Fall 2014 Student Teaching requires that you have negative TB test results on file in the Field Services Office dated December 14, 2013 or later. Please click on the link for instructions to obtain TB test results.
- 5. Intent Packet Checklist: Before submitting Part B of your Intent Packet, please print and fill in this form to make sure that your packet is complete. Submit this form with Part B of the Intent Packet.
Please submit Part B of your Intent Packet to the Field Services Office, Room 120, Stayer Hall. We prefer that you submit Part B in person so that we may check to make sure it is complete however, you may mail the packet to:
Field Services - Student Teaching
PO Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551
NOTE: We will not accept packets sent via email or fax - it is your responsibility to provide us with the hard-copies.
PART C of the Student Teaching Intent Packet - DUE APRIL 21, 2014 at the Orientation Meeting!
- 1. Proof of Liability Insurance - Please click on this link for instructions for obtaining proof of liability insurance. We highly recommend that you wait until the beginning of April 2014 to obtain this coverage so you will not have to pay for more than one year's subscription. Please submit this form at the Orientation Meeting.
Your student teaching placement(s) will only be released to you if Parts A, B and C have been submitted.
Thank you very much for your prompt attention to the Intent Packet. We are looking forward to working with you towards this exciting semester!!!
If you are planning to student teach in Fall 2014 please complete the Intent Packet above and return to Room 120, Stayer Hall by the designated due dates. Please get into the habit of checking your MyVille email account, and this website, regularly since this is our venue for keeping student teachers updated on current information. We're looking forward to working with you!