Millersville University’s Academic Internship Program is one approach of experiential education which encourages a culture of free inquiry and self-reflective learning, where students weave their academic coursework into their future professions, preparing them to become well-rounded individuals for productive roles as civic and community engaged leaders and citizens. Millersville University recognizes that academic internship experiences are a valuable part of education, allowing students to engage in a professional experience at an organization while developing new skills and learning about a field or industry that complements classroom learning. The opportunity to apply theory to practice is treated like any other academic course where students can earn credit toward graduation.
Internship experiences are available to all Millersville University students who have:
- A minimum 2.0 GPA, some departments require a 2.5
- Successfully earned 24 credits
- Transfer students must have successfully earned 12 credits at Millersville.
- Second degree students must have completed 12 credits at Millersville.
- Declared a major and/or minor
- Signed approval from that academic department’s Faculty Internship Coordinator.
- Signed the agreement to complete the requirements and pay for the credits
How Our Program Works
Students in Millersville University Internship Program are earning academic credits for their internship experience. This means that the student must complete some minimum requirements in order to earn those credits:
- All academic internships are completed for a minimum of 3 credits
- Students are required to work over a period of 12 - 15 weeks, for at least 225 hours
- Students must pay tuition (including summer internships)
- Students must earn a favorable work evaluation from the employer
- Have a minimum of five (5) contacts with the faculty internship supervisor establishing learning objectives, goal setting, providing progress reports and evaluating the experience
- Write an outcome paper which is a reflection of the internship experience
- Complete an evaluation/assessment of the academic internship experience
- Complete any additional departmental assignments
Internships provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to apply classroom knowledge and to strengthen their professional work habits. As job competition rises, participation in internships provides students with a competitive advantage over other graduates with limited practical work experience. Internships may also confirm or redirect career decision-making through on-the-job experience in a chosen field. Well-planned and well-executed internships offer students a chance to gain first-hand knowledge of an organization and an industry, helping them focus their career goals and acquire valuable job skills and work experiences. Additionally, internships are an outstanding source of networking contacts and professional references for students, as well as the potential for regular employment after the internship ends.
Your first step is to complete the Online Orientation. It is recommended that you start the internship process one semester prior to your internship experience. Click here to learn about internship opportunities, requirements and strategies.