Master's in English Education
Obtaining your master’s degree in English Education can greatly enhance the skills, knowledge, and expertise you can bring to any professional field, especially Education. Students can complete a Master of Education in English degree virtually through the online pathway offered in English and World Languages here at Millersville University.
The Master of Education degree program in English is designed to prepare the student for continuing graduate study in English or related fields and to enhance the student’s intellectual and aesthetic life through the intense study of education, English education, literature, writing studies, literary theory, film studies and linguistics.
The Master of Education degree program may be completed fully face-to-face, fully online, or a combination of both face-to-face and online.
Why Study This Program?
Earning a Master of Education degree in English at Millersville University can build your educational leadership skills, hone your writing skills, strengthen your analytical abilities, and sharpen your investigation skills. Earning a Master of Education degree can help you enhance your current teaching career or change careers within education (curriculum design and other district level position). The English M.Ed. cultivates curiosity, openness, and creativity as mindset approaches to support you as you develop writing skills, teaching skills, and content knowledge. These mindset values, along with the skills obtained throughout a master’s degree, strengthen your impact to the field of teaching.
Through the English department at Millersville, graduate students can build competencies in research, writing, analysis, creative thinking, and teaching skills in a virtual medium. The English department is excited to offer an online pathway to create a more accessible and available program for graduate students to learn, on a schedule that works best for them. Additionally, the capstone requirement of ENGL 680 Digital Portfolio helps prepare teachers to showcase these skills to external audiences. These online pathways also further our focus on diversity, equity, and life-long learning. Although courses are presented in an online format, there is still ample opportunity to connect with classmates and professors.
- Flexible course availability - Students are able to do coursework anywhere at any time, courses offered Fall, Spring, and Summer
- Online pathways - Students can access coursework from anywhere, increasing the availability of courses that support critical and analytical thinking to more students.
What Will You Learn?
As a graduate student of English, you will develop academic writing and research skills, craft in-depth analyses, enhance creativity, and engage with a community of scholars studying Literature, Composition, Rhetoric, and Linguistics. As a Master of Education student you will also engage with courses in Education to develop teaching, educational research, educational leadership, and educational writing skills. Many of our students have applied their graduate skills as teachers, as curriculum designers in K-12 and Higher Education, and as educators.
- Narrative Studies: Literature and Film
- Narrative Studies focus offers a breadth of courses in Literature and Film studies. This focus provides students advanced training in critical interpretation and theory of a variety of media. Our literature faculty members have expertise in a variety of fields including African American literature, British literature, postcolonial literature, contemporary American literature, gender and sexuality studies, disability studies, feminism, and ecocriticism. This track enhances engagement with a diverse range of canonical and noncanonical texts, and exposes students to contemporary ideas about narratives.
- Included within this are English Education graduate courses in teaching Literature.
- Writing Studies: Rhetoric, Composition, and Creative Writing
- Writing Studies focus offers a breadth of courses in rhetoric, composition, and creative writing. This focus provides students advanced training in theories of writing, theories of rhetoric, theories of creative writing and how they inform writing practices. Our writing studies faculty members have expertise in digital writing, science writing, technical writing, public writing and publishing, drama and poetry creative writing, and rhetoric and composition. This track enhances understanding of writing skills and, exposes students to contemporary theories of writing.
- Included within this are English Education graduate courses in teaching writing and media.
- Linguistic Studies
- Linguistic Studies blends the study of linguistics and ESL. This focus provides students advanced training in theories of linguistics and how they inform teaching practices. Our linguistics faculty members have expertise in teaching English as a second language, and second language writing. This track enhances understanding of linguistics and, exposes students to contemporary theories of teaching English as a second language.
- Included within this are English Education graduate courses in teaching English to second language learners.
Follow our blog for more information.