Student Teaching within the Classroom
- Have a completed Bachelor's degree
- Meet all other qualifications for student teaching including APS status.
- Have an emergency teaching permit or Intern certificate or its equivalent in the certification area being sought.
- Have a minimum of two years teaching experience or its equivalent
- Have at least a current one year/full time teaching position in the certification area being sought or its equivalent in a school that is within a 50 mile radius of Millersville University.
- Have passed the content area Praxis Tests (OPI for Foreign Languages) in the certification area being sought.
- Have completed at least two courses at Millersville before application. Have completed all required coursework by the end of the Fall for candidates applying for Spring student teaching and by the end of the Spring semester for candidates applying for Fall student teaching.
- Have received a recommendation from the appropriate education department chair. Department chairs will base their recommendations on evaluations of the candidate from faculty who have had the candidate in class. The criteria for recommendation will be whether the candidate has demonstrated sufficient proficiency that the benefit of full-time oversight by a cooperating teacher can be replaced by a peer mentor without loss of quality.
- Recommendations for secondary education candidates will come from the EDFN chair. The EDFN chair will seek evaluations from EDFN faculty and from the chair of the candidate’s content area.
- Have received a recommendation from the appropriate school administrator at their place of employment and a signed mentor agreement from a certified teacher with three years experience
Student teaching in your own classroom is an exception to regular student teaching for candidates who are admitted to the Intern Program or who are working with an emergency teaching certificate and who met the higher standards required for this exception. Candidates who successfully meet these criteria must enroll for a full semester of student teaching (12 credits). A university student teaching supervisor will be assigned to the candidate. That university supervisor will conduct at least the university required minimum number of classroom observations and conferences indicated for student teaching supervision. This program is only available to candidates employed in a school within a 50 mile radius of Millersville University.
- Candidates must be admitted to a certification program at Millersville University and must have completed at least 6 credits at Millersville University before application.
- After completing 6 credits, candidates may apply to Field Services office to student teach in their own classroom. Application must be made by October 1st for student teaching in the Spring and by March 1st for student teaching in the Fall. The Field Service office will provide candidates with an application and a checklist of materials they will need to provide including evidence for requirements 1-5 below.
- Field Services will contact the certification officer and the candidate’s education department chair to determine if requirements 6 and 7 are met.
- Upon receiving evidence of meeting requirements 1-7, Field Services will seek a Mentor agreement form from the candidate’s school.
- Field Services will inform the candidate when their application has been approved or denied.