Talk to Your Incoming Freshman About Alcohol and Other Drugs
Even after your family leaves for college you can still have a very important impact on their decision making. Read the tips below to help you have a productive conversation with them about the risks of using and abusing alcohol and other drugs.
Tips to Communicate With Your New College Student:
- Encourage your student to be safe and responsible
- Communicate your values about drinking alcohol and using drugs
- Be factual and straightforward
- Ask your student what they think about alcohol and other drugs. Listen to their answers.
- Talk often! Follow up during the school year to ask about their experiences in school.
Signs of an Alcohol or Other Drug Problem with Your Student:
- Significant drop in grades
- Skipping class routinely
- Chronic money troubles
- Changes in behavior