PA Department of Labor & Industry Digital Literacy and Workforce Development Grant
Develop Your Digital Literacy Skills
Millersville University is partnering with the Lancaster County Workforce Development Board, PA CareerLink® of Lancaster County and the Quarryville Library to provide computer and digital literacy training to unemployed and underemployed participants. This training is focused on providing the skills to assist participants in job seeking and job performance. We will accomplish this through a combination of in-person instruction and online course content, with an aim toward increasing comfort with and experience in online learning to create significant opportunities for lifelong learning and skill-building. Participants will receive a certificate of completion for each course that is successfully completed, as well as a noncredit Digital Literacy Skills Certificate from Millersville University for successful completion of the entire program.
Introduction and Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019 /office 365 Courses
- The introductory-level course is designed to help participants learn the basics of Word 2019 needed to write and edit text and to create, format, and organize documents.
- The intermediate-level course is for participants who have completed the Introductory Microsoft Word course. The course covers advanced word processing functions. The course will help learners create business documents such as letters, brochures, and newsletters
INtroduction and Intermediate microsoft excel 2019 / office 365 courses
- The goal of the introductory course is to help learners use Excel to calculate statistics and future values, sort and analyze data, create three-dimensional workbooks, and automate frequently repeated tasks with macros and buttons.
- The intermediate course is for participants who have completed the Introductory Microsoft Excel course who are interested in continuing learning the program. Participants will learn advanced functions in addition to Autofiller commands and functions.
Introduction to Microsoft Access 2019 / Office 365
- The introductory-level course helps participants who are already familiar with Microsoft Excel learn how to use the program to organize, store, and document essential information
Introduction to Microsoft project 2019 / office 365
- The goals of this course include helping learners produce a baseline, assign resources and costs, track progress, revise project plans, and sequence tasks. Participants will learn to efficiently manage projects for an organization.
Introduction to Microsoft powerpoint 2019 / office 365
- This is an introductory course helping participants learn how to plan and create professional-quality presentations. Finally, the course help learners create custom presentations with content specific to a company’s business needs.
Introduction to Microsoft outlook 2019 / Office 365
- This is an introductory course helping participants earn how to manage their email, appointments, tasks, and contacts in a single program. Finally, the course help learners search and find information and sort and organize data within their email.
To participate, you must:
1. Unemployed, underemployed, or seeking a new career path
- A person without a paid job but available to work
- A person not having enough paid work
- A person not doing work that makes full use of their skills and abilities
- A person looking to transition between industries, careers, or positions
2. 18 years or older
3. Residing in the service area of Quarryville Library:
- Quarryville Library
- Bart Township
- Colerain Township
- East Drumore Township
- Eden Township
- Fulton Township
- Little Britain Township
- Martic Township
- Providence Township
- Quarryville Borough
How much time must I commit?
- Each course takes about 24 online learning hours and about 6 weeks to complete.
- This will begin in person, but you may have the option to complete some coursework at home.
- Walk-ins seeking help on a particular issue are welcome.
- One-hour workshops are available. Registration is required. Quarryville Library Workshop Registration
What courses will I be taking?
- Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019 / Office 365
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2019 / Office 365
- Introduction to Microsoft Access 2019 / Office 365
- Introduction to Microsoft Project 2019 / Office 365
- Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint 2019 / Office 365
- Introduction to Microsoft Outlook 2019 / Office 365
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel 2019 / Office 365
- Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019/ Office 365
Do I have to pay for any part of this?
- The courses, instruction, computer usage, and certificates are provided for free.
Do I have to pay for a library card?
- No, library cards are free. Benefits include checking out books, movies, magazines, as well as other library resources such as basic skills courses, computer access, and scanning/fax/printing services.
Do I have to bring my own computer?
- If you have your own computer, you may use it to complete these courses. You may bring you own laptop to the library for sessions.
- If you do not have your own computer, there will be laptops available for use at the library.
What is the benefit of earning these certificates?
- These skills are essential for the modern workplace. Not only can you feature them on a professional resume, but they make you a more desirable job applicant.
Do I need to have an email account?
- Yes, you will need an email account. If you do not have an email account already, we will assist you in creating one!
Am I able to work online at home?
- Yes, if you have access to a laptop or desktop computer at home, you may choose to work remotely after becoming comfortable with the online programming.
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to /Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019' courses?
- File management
- Working with multiple documents
- Printing documents and reports
- Creating and organizing tables and manipulating graphics
- Merging spreadsheets and data within documents
- Desktop publishing
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to/ Intermediate Microsoft Excel 2019/Office 365' courses?
- Knowing the difference between relative, absolute, mixed, and circular references
- Building an Excel table and how to subtotal, sort, and filter
- Advanced charting techniques and financial functions
- Pivot tables
- Math and trigonometry functions
- Learning goal seek function (formula finder)
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to Microsoft Access 2019/Office 365' course?
- Creating tables, relationships, and queries
- Using form wizard and automating a database with macros
- Making query-based reports
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to Microsoft Project 2019/Office 365' course?
- Creating a Gantt Chart
- Using project templates and creating reports
- Learning the basics of variance analysis
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint 2019/Office 365' course?
- Working with files and creating/editing tables
- Creating hyperlinks and action buttons
- Applying animation to slides,texts, and objects
What will I learn in the 'Introduction to Microsoft Outlook 2019/Office 365
- Sending, formatting, adding attachment to, and editing emails
- Using the Outlook calendar and Contact sections
- Creating task lists