PA Department of Labor & Industry Digital Literacy and Workforce Development Grant
Develop Your Digital Literacy Skills
Millersville University is partnering with the Lancaster County Workforce Development Board, PA CareerLink® of Lancaster County, Quarryville Library, and the Adamstown Area Library to provide computer and digital literacy training to unemployed and underemployed participants. This training is focused on providing the skills to assist participants in job seeking and job performance. We will accomplish this through a combination of in-person instruction and online course content, with an aim toward increasing comfort with and experience in online learning to create significant opportunities for lifelong learning and skill-building. Participants will receive a certificate of completion for each of three courses successfully completed, as well as a noncredit Digital Literacy Skills Certificate from Millersville University for successful completion of the entire program.
- Become faster and more confident at the keyboard
- Learn how to touch-type the alphabetic, numeric, and symbol keys; create, save, and edit word processing documents; and successfully take a timed writing test during a job interview.
Computer Skills FOR the Workplace
- Confidently apply for jobs knowing that you possess the computer skills needed to perform on the job
- An introduction to Windows 10 and Office 2016
- Learn the fundamental computer competencies you need to prosper in a modern workplace
Ace Your Job Search
- Craft a resume that is targeted, elegant, and effective
- Learn interviewing skills, focusing on the interview preparation and the five stages of the interview process
- Formulate winning answers to difficult interview questions.
To participate, you must:
1. Unemployed, underemployed, or seeking a new career path
- A person without a paid job but available to work
- A person not having enough paid work
- A person not doing work that makes full use of their skills and abilities
- A person looking to transition between industries, careers, or positions
2. 18 years or older
3. Able to commit approximately 4 hours per week from now until September 30, 2022
- Each course requires 24 course hours and must be completed within 6 weeks
- Coursework will be completed in-person. You may also have the option to complete coursework at home after initial face-to-face instruction
- Work at your own pace
- Grant program assistant will provide in-person support during scheduled library course sessions
4. Residing in the service area of one of the partnering libraries:
- Adamstown Area Library
- Adamstown Borough
- Denver Borough
- Brecknock Township
- East Cocalico Township
- West Cocalico Township
- Quarryville Library
- Bart Township
- Colerain Township
- East Drumore Township
- Eden Township
- Fulton Township
- Little Britain Township
- Martic Township
- Providence Township
- Quarryville Borough
How much time must I commit?
- Approximately 4 hours per week from now until September 30, 2022! Each course takes about 24 hours to complete and takes 6 weeks to complete.
- This will begin in person, but you may have the option to complete some coursework at home.
What courses will I be taking?
- Computer Skills in the Workplace
- Ace Your Job Search
Do I have to pay for any part of this?
- The courses, instruction, computer usage, and certificates are provided for free.
Do I have to pay for a library card?
- No, library cards are free. Benefits include checking out books, movies, magazines, as well as other library resources such as basic skills courses, computer access, and scanning/fax/printing services.
Do I have to bring my own computer?
- If you have your own computer, you may use it to complete these courses. You may bring you own laptop to the library for sessions.
- If you do not have your own computer, there will be laptops available for use at the library.
What is the benefit of earning these certificates?
- These skills are essential for the modern workplace. Not only can you feature them on a professional resume, but they make you a more desirable job applicant.
What is LinkedIn?
- LinkedIn is the world's largest professional network on the internet.
- LinkedIn helps individuals gain positive exposure during the hiring process, find jobs, and assist in demonstrating knowledge, credibility, and leadership experiences.
Do I need to have an email account?
- Yes, you will need an email account. If you do not have an email account already, we will assist you in creating one!
Am I able to work online at home?
- Yes, if you have access to a laptop or desktop computer at home, you may choose to work remotely after becoming comfortable with the online programming.
What will I learn in the 'Keyboarding' class?
- Where the home row keys are on the keyboard
- How to reduce fatigue while typing
- What a QWERTY keyboard is
- How to reach and type all letters, numers, and symbols
- Tips on improving speed and accuracy when typing
- What the function (FN) key and numbers lock (NUM LOCK) keys do
- How to save, open, edit, and resave a document with a word processing program
- The differences between DELETE, BACKSPACE, and CUT commands
What will I learn in the 'Computer Skills for the Workplace' class?
- An overview of workplace technologies
- Email and scheduling with Microsoft Outlook
- Creating and formatting documents in Microsoft Word
- Formatting, charts, and printing in Microsoft Excel
- Database basics in Microsoft Access
- Creating and editing presentations with Microsoft PowerPoint
- How to combine Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel to create data lists
- Basics of using the internet
- How to transfer and protect data
- Identify ways to use your computer skills to find a new job or get a promotion within your current organization
What will I learn in the 'Ace Your Job Search' class?
- Recognize key career development questions to ask before beginning a job search
- Employ a written goal-setting process to establish career development and job search priorities
- Recognize the purpose of tailoring a resume and cover letter
- Develop a more effective resume and cover letter
- Identify the five stages of the interview process
- Conduct industry and company research efficiently using web-based resources
- Brainstorm potential interview questions and answers
- Understand what constitutes a good answer in the mind of a hiring manager
- Anticipate some of the most common interview questions
- Explain to a hiring manager how the past successes represented on your resume will translate to future success in your desired position
- Recognize whether a job aligns with your career objectives