Millersville University's Music Education program combines music and teaching courses to prepare you to inspire the next generation through music.
Why Study This Program?
Millersville University’s division of Music Education offers one of the nation’s most comprehensive and integrated programs of study. With the field of music education changing so rapidly, our world-class faculty, creative environment and state-of-the-art facilities allow for a truly unique education.
Students are given the opportunity to gain a real-world experience through professional venues, field experiences and internship opportunities including Music for Everyone, Lancaster International Piano Festival, Assai Performance Institute International, String Festival, Marauder Music Productions and the "Creative Campus" initiative.
With two Visual & Performing Arts Centers, three performance halls, a professional recording studio and a one-of-a-kind Yamaha Digital Piano Lab that hosts the latest music technology software including ProTools and Logic, the options are truly endless.
Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science in Music Education.
What Will You Learn?
Students in the Music Education program are expected to complete a range of courses including musical analysis, class piano, music history, conducting and a range of strings, voice, woodwinds, percussion and brass music classes. These project-based classes blend standard learning with hands-on experiences both in and out of the classroom, and focus on commercial music and arts administration studies. In addition, individuals are also expected to complete seven semesters of ensembles of his or her choice.
Students also have the opportunity to....
• Collaborate under the direction of a faculty member to maintain and operate the University’s production company, Marauder Music Productions (MMP). This production company allows students to receive firsthand experience with marketing plans, strategic planning, recording and producing.
• Interact and learn in real-time across any geographical distance on our DCFX Disklavier. This instrument provides a unique opportunity for interaction with international piano performances.
• Learn to fully operate ProTools and Logic in our state-of-the-art recording studio, as well as operate industry standard software, including ProTools and Logic, in our one-of-a-kind Yamaha piano lab.
All applicants to the Music Department must file two applications: one to the Millersville Admissions Office for acceptance to the University and one to the Department of Music for acceptance to the department. You must also schedule an audition with the Department of Music. The audition process includes four required components and is performed on scheduled dates. Auditions begin at 9:30 a.m. and conclude no later than 1 p.m. Professional attire is expected.
Music Education at Millersville University
MU is training students to be effective and successful music educators.
- Elementary School Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
- Secondary School Teacher
- Independent Studio Teacher
- Fine Arts Coordinator
- Music Director
Clubs and Organizations
- Marauder Marching Band
- Marauder Men’s Glee Club
- University Chorale
- University Choir
- Jazz Lab Band
- Cantilena Women’s Chorus
- Commercial Music Ensemble
- Commercial Music Lab Band
- Concert Band
- Flute Ensemble
- Guitar Ensemble
- Jazz Ensemble
- Percussion Ensemble
- West African Dance and Drum Ensemble
- Wind Ensemble
- Related Programs