Millersville University's Music Education program combines music and teaching courses to prepare you to inspire the next generation through music.
Why Study This Program?
Millersville University’s division of Music Education offers one of the nation’s most comprehensive and integrated programs of study. With the field of music education changing so rapidly, our world-class faculty, creative environment and state-of-the-art facilities allow for a truly unique education.
Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science in Music Education.
What Will You Learn?
Students in the Music Education program are expected to complete a range of courses including musical analysis, class piano, music history, conducting and a range of strings, voice, woodwinds, percussion and brass music classes. In addition, individuals are also expected to complete seven semesters of ensembles of his or her choice.
Students also have the opportunity to....
- Have extensive teaching experience each semester beginning in the second year
- Add on Certificates in Kodaly, Technology in Music Education, and Modern Band
- Participate in unique teaching opportunities in the Tell School of Music Summer Camp and local schools
All applicants to the Music Department must file two applications: one to the Millersville Admissions Office for acceptance to the University and one to the Department of Music for acceptance to the department. You must also schedule an audition with the Department of Music. The audition process includes four required components and is performed on scheduled dates. Auditions begin at 9:30 a.m. and conclude no later than 1 p.m. Professional attire is expected.
Music Education at Millersville University
MU is training students to be effective and successful music educators.
- Elementary School Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
- Secondary School Teacher
- Independent Studio Teacher
- Fine Arts Coordinator
- Music Director
Clubs and Organizations
- Cantilena Women’s Chorus
- Chromatic A Cappella Group
- Commercial Music and Lab Ensembles
- Concert Band
- Flute Ensemble
- Gospel Choir
- Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Lab Band
- Marauder Marching Band
- Marauder Men’s Glee Club
- Percussion Ensemble
- Trombone Choir
- Trumpet Ensemble
- Tuba Euphonium Ensemble
- University Chorale
- University Choir
- Wind Ensemble
- Music Performers Association (MPA)
- American Choral Director’s Association (ACDA)
- All Campus Musical Organization (ACMO)
- Marauder Music (MM)
- Related Programs