Studio Art Minor
Improve your drawing and painting skills, learn the intricacies of art history or complete a gallery internship with Millersville University's Studio Art minor.
Why Study This Program?
The Studio Art minor is designed for the student who wishes to pursue a sequence of courses in studio art in addition to those of his/her major field. Under the guidance of our dedicated faculty, who are recognized experts in their respective fields, you'll gain confidence, knowledge and skills for a successful career in fine arts, art education, graphic and interactive design, or other field if you so choose.
Utilize your talents in the study of ceramics, fine art metals, interactive and graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking or sculpture. From our extensive art history library and expansive studios to state-of-the-art computer labs for graphic and interactive design, MU offers the tools and resources to advance your knowledge and build a successful portfolio.
What Will You Learn?
Students within this minor will study all aspects of studio art including drawing, 2D and 3D design, art history, sculpture, photography, painting and more. Students are also encouraged to participate in internships. Millersville students have interned at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City; regional museums and galleries such as the Demuth Museum; highly respected design firms, including Atomic; and with area artistic production firms such as Mio Studios.
The University also offers galleries for student exhibitions:
- Swift Gallery – A student-focused gallery provides encouragement and an opportunity for undergraduate art students to display their work.
- Sykes Gallery – This gallery exhibits artwork produced by professional artists and displays the annual juried student exhibition.
- The Ware Center – Located in downtown Lancaster, the Ware Center offers numerous opportunities to display art and is located one block away from Lancaster’s popular Gallery Row.
- Susan C. & Gerald C. Eckert Art Gallery – Located in the Winter Visual & Performing Arts Center, this gallery features exhibitions of nationally recognized artists and work that promotes cross-disciplinary exchange, enhancing the visual arts and culture of the county and region.
- Art Educator
- Commercial and Industrial Designer
- Art Director
- Mutlimedia Artist and Animator
- Set and Exhibit Designer
- Etcher and Engraver
- Graphic Designer
Clubs and Organizations
- AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts)
- Art Club
- Jewelry and Metal Arts Guild
- Slip & Score Society
- Related Programs