Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, we've got answers.

Do you have questions we haven't answered in FAQ?

Email us at advisor@millersville.edu!

Academic Advisement's FAQ Section:

Helping answer your questions is a big part of what we do in Academic Advisement; the following list includes some of the most common questions that we are asked.  If you can't find the answer to your question below, please email us your question and we will add it to the list.


How do I change my major/minor?

Academic Program Change Request  (Online form in MAX) Formerly the Academic Major and Academic Minor forms.

Use this form to request a change to your academic program.  Including changing, adding or dropping a major and adding or dropping a minor.  Requests for a change in the catalog term (to backdate ro update requirements) May also be submitted via this form.

The form is processed in the Registrar's Office. Any further questions about this, please call the Registrar at 717-871-5005.

Am I allowed to change my advisor?

Yes, absolutely. Students sometimes choose to change their advisor for a variety of reasons. THIS IS PERFECTLY OKAY TO DO.

 Advisor changes are handled through individual departments, please contact the department secretary or the Chair if you are only seeking an advisor change.

Can I have a minor in my major department? Can I minor in anything I want?

Yes and No. University policy does not allow a student to have a minor where more than one course that is required in the minor is also required and used in the major. In other words, if your major and a minor have more than one overlapping required course, you can't add the minor. Simply put you cannot have a minor in your major department. That still leaves a lot of minors to choose from. AND there are some exceptions, as there are some departments that have arranged their curriculum to be ok.

Please contact our office if you have questions about valid combinations of majors/minors.

How does MATH 090 count?

MATH 090 (like COMM 010 and ENGL 010) carries credit, but the credits for these courses do not count toward the 120 credits needed for graduation. They are considered remedial courses and usually you are placed into these courses (based on placement test results). Usually, they are necessary to bring you up to speed so you can be successful in the MATH, COMM and ENGL courses necessary for your degree. So, if you took one of these courses, remember these courses don't count in your 120 credits that you need to earn for graduation however they are usually necessary.

Do I have to double-up in the G2 block with two science courses?

Regardless of the curriculum you are under, the answer is technically YES and NO.

The requirements for the G2 block are as follows:

General Education curriculum

  • 9 credits/3 courses minimum
  • No more than two from any department will count (i.e. if you take three Biology courses, only two of them will count in your G2).
  • At least two of the three courses must be "natural science" courses, that is from Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences or Physics. These could either be from the same department or could be one course from any two departments.
  • One of those natural science courses MUST have a lab.
  • Special note about MATH: The first gen ed Math course you take counts in your Foundations for Lifelong Learning block. IF YOU TAKE A SECOND gen ed approved Math, that course will count in your G2 block. 

Back to the question, you are required to take at least two natural science courses, they don't have to be from the same department but they can be. If you have any questions or need any clarification about your G2 block, please contact our office.

How do I calculate my GPA?

The easiest way is to follow the instructions of the GPA Calculator on our website.

Each letter grade is worth a different number of quality points:

A   4.0     A-   3.7

B+  3.3     B     3.0     B- 2.7

C+  2.3     C     2.0     C- 1.7

D+  1.3     D     1.0     D- 0.7

F    0.0      Z    0.0


The formula you can use:

SUM(# of Credits  X Quality Points)

Total # of Credits


1. Take the number of credits for each class and multiple by the quality points. Add up the total sum for all classes.

2. Divide that total by the total number of credits.

Calculating your GPA is also useful for setting goals for grades!