Language And Culture Studies
Welcome, Bienvenido, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, ようこそ!
Our program in Language and Culture Studies is designed to help students acquire a high level of proficiency in a specific language and deep knowledge about the cultures related to the language. Students develop skills in linguistic, cultural, and literary analysis to be prepared for careers in a field where they can use their second language at a professional level. We offer the following language:
- Italian (elementary level)
- Japanese (elementary and intermediate levels)
We strongly encourage students to study abroad for one or two semesters during their junior year in:
- Chile: Valparaíso (full language immersion)
- France: Caen (full language immersion)
- France: Paris (partial language immersion)
- Germany: Marburg (full or partial language immersion)
- Japan: Osaka (partial language immersion)
- Spain: Burgos or Pamplona (full language immersion)
- or in another approved program abroad
Our teacher education programs in French, German, and Spanish are recognized for their excellence by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
Do you need an override to register for a language class other than at the Elementary level (101)? Register for Language Placement
October 24 - 29, 2019: Join us for the PSMLA-PACIE Fall Conference in State College, PA. This year's Fall Conference celebrates the 100th anniversary of PSMLA and the 50th anniversary of PACIE. More than 80 sessions will be offered on Friday and Saturday following the pre-conference workshop which we are sponsoring. For more information: LACS Pre-Conference Workshop
2019 Summer World Language Camps brought 46 high school students to campus for a week long language immersion experience in French, German and Spanish. Look for information about our 2020 Summer Language Camp in Spring 2020.
- Program Information