Office: Chryst Hall 208
Phone: (717) 871-7394
Comments: On Leave
- B.A. English, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Minor: Russian language, literature, and history.
- M.A. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Ph.D. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Rhetoric and Writing Studies
- Contemporary Poetics
- Avant-garde Poetry and Poetics
- Hermeneutic Phenomenology
- Hans-Georg Gadamer
- Martin Heidegger
- Mikhail Bakhtin
- Poets mainstream presses hate
- Co-Chair, Writing Studies Committee
- Co-Chair, Title III—Strengthening Institutions Program—Federal Grant Committee
- Co-Chair, Millersville Writing Institute (2004)
- Assessment Consultant
- Proposer, Graduate Certificate in Writing
Community & Club Connections
Judge. James Hale Steinman Scholarship Fund (Lancaster, PA).
Passions & Distractions
- Poetry writing
- Art history
- Films of all varieties
- English 110: Composition
- English 311: Advanced Composition
- The Writing Workshop
- The Graduate Seminar in Rhetoric and Composition
- Experimental / Academic Writing
- Graduate Seminar in Contemporary American Poetry and Poetics
- Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Book-length study. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014.
- "The Game of Self-Forgetting: Reading Innovative Poetry Reading Gadamer." Essay in Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014. 127-145.
- "The Experiential Ethos of Advanced Composition." Essay in Principles and Practice: New Discourses for the Vertical Curriculum. Ed. Margaret M. Strain. NY: Hampton Press, 2012. 63-85.
- "Architect / House of Being." "Burning Interiors": David Shapiro's Poetry and Poetics. Eds. Thomas Fink and Joseph Lease. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2007. 31-46.
- "Petaluma." Poem. Muse Apprentice Guild. Spring 2003.
- Reflection and an Appetite for Experience: Theory to Classroom Practice." Journal for the Assembly of Expanded Perspectives on Learning 4 (Winter 1998-9): 52-60.
- "Reconsidering Assessment: From Checklist to Dialectic." Assessing Writing 3.2 (1996): 173-195.