Office: Chryst Hall 208
Phone: (717) 871-7394
Comments: and by appointment. Please note: On Tuesday and Thursday, I am coming to my office hours from my English 110 class in Hash and MAY BE LATE if my students have questions after class. Please wait. Also, because of my committee meeting schedule, my office hours may be altered from time to time. I will post these alterations.
- B.A. English, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Minor: Russian language, literature, and history.
- M.A. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Ph.D. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Rhetoric and Writing Studies
- Contemporary Poetics
- Avant-garde Poetry and Poetics
- Hermeneutic Phenomenology
- Hans-Georg Gadamer
- Martin Heidegger
- Mikhail Bakhtin
- Poets mainstream presses hate
- Co-Chair, Writing Studies Committee
- Co-Chair, Title III—Strengthening Institutions Program—Federal Grant Committee
- Co-Chair, Millersville Writing Institute (2004)
- Assessment Consultant
- Proposer, Graduate Certificate in Writing
Community & Club Connections
Judge. James Hale Steinman Scholarship Fund (Lancaster, PA).
Passions & Distractions
- Poetry writing
- Art history
- Films of all varieties
- English 110: Composition
- English 311: Advanced Composition
- The Writing Workshop
- The Graduate Seminar in Rhetoric and Composition
- Experimental / Academic Writing
- Graduate Seminar in Contemporary American Poetry and Poetics
- Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Book-length study. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014.
- "The Game of Self-Forgetting: Reading Innovative Poetry Reading Gadamer." Essay in Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014. 127-145.
- "The Experiential Ethos of Advanced Composition." Essay in Principles and Practice: New Discourses for the Vertical Curriculum. Ed. Margaret M. Strain. NY: Hampton Press, 2012. 63-85.
- "Architect / House of Being." "Burning Interiors": David Shapiro's Poetry and Poetics. Eds. Thomas Fink and Joseph Lease. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2007. 31-46.
- "Petaluma." Poem. Muse Apprentice Guild. Spring 2003.
- Reflection and an Appetite for Experience: Theory to Classroom Practice." Journal for the Assembly of Expanded Perspectives on Learning 4 (Winter 1998-9): 52-60.
- "Reconsidering Assessment: From Checklist to Dialectic." Assessing Writing 3.2 (1996): 173-195.