Ph.D. in rhetoric, Carnegie Mellon University, 2016.
M.A. in rhetoric, Carnegie Mellon University, 2011.
- Science Writing
- Technical Writing
- Environmental rhetoric
- Rhetoric of place
- Public sphere theory
- Discourse analysis
- Computer-aided rhetorical analysis
- Place-based pedagogy
- Susquehanna River Issues
- Environmental Advocacy
- Deliberative democracy
- Health and medical discourse
- English 110: English Composition
- English 311: Advanced Composition
- English 312: Technical Writing
- English 319: Science Writing
- English 466: Writing Studies Seminar: Environmental Advocacy Writing
Mando, Justin and Garrett Stack. "Convincing the Public to Kill: Asian Carp and the Proximization of Invasive Species Threat." Environmental Communication, OnlineFirst, 2018, pp.1-15.
Mando, Justin. "The Rhetorical Construction of Proximity in a Marcellus Shale Public Hearing." "Communicating Hydro-fracking" Special issue of Environmental Communication, vol. 10, no.3, 2016, pp. 352-364.
Johnstone, Barbara, and Justin Mando. "Proximity and Journalistic Practice in Environmental Discourse: Experiencing 'Job Blackmail' in the News." Discourse in Communication, vol. 9, no. 1, 2015, pp. 81-101.
Teagarden, Alexis, Carolyn Commer, Ana Cooke and Justin Mando. "Intellectual Risk in the Writing Classroom: Navigating Tensions in Educational Values and Classroom Practice." Composition Studies, (Forthcoming)
Passions & Distractions
- Fly fishing
- Recreation on the Susquehanna River
- Travel in Slovakia