English Major Advising Reference Sheet
BSE Advising Reference Sheet
- Scheduling tips
- Plan on taking one course during summer or winter to stay on track (last semester is 12 credits)
- Must take TWO math courses, both with G2 label. No other restriction.
- TWO G2 math courses count for “two from one dept” rule for the G2 block.
- TWO courses needed; both may count toward G-blocks and minor or options.
Non-Print Media Studies requirement
- Cover this requirement with one of the English Film electives. May not count in G-block.
- Try to cover this with one of the English P courses as an elective
- EDFN 211 counts as BSE Diversity course
TWOlevels needed: 1st before sophomore block registration; 2nd before graduating.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SCHOOL
- 2.8 cumulative GPA to get in; TWO G2 Math courses; PRAXIS 1 satisfied to register for APS; Clearances filed.
- May not take other courses (other than EDSE 471) during student teaching
- As this semester has 12 total credit hours, 3 credit hours must be fulfilled earlier either during summer/winter or an 18 credit semester
BA Advising Reference Sheet
- Must take a minor outside of English, unless you choose Print Media Studies
Print Media Studies minor and Journalism option
- Recommend to work for Snapper freshmen and sophomore year.
- The option is good for BSEs interested in advising middle/high school papers.
- Highly recommended for all BAs
- ENGL 491 recommended for BAs interested in graduate school and writing studies.
- Needs approval from a faculty advisor, Chair, and Dean.
- Minors: Courses in Gen Ed blocks, one course from major, except for Print Media Studies Minors who cannot count any major courses in
- Options: Courses from anywhere else in the major or Gen Ed curriculum.
- Gen Ed: “D” & “W” courses count anywhere.
Relatedsfor BSEs: Courses in Gen Ed blocks
- Must take placement to get a math class.
- Must take placement to take a language course at 200 level or higher
- Before 15 credits have been earned, students may take a general equivalency test for 6 credits: ENGL 110 & 1xx (G1), and subject area equivalency for ENGL 230, 234, 236.
Gen Ed Courses
- Any G-Block course may count
- Students who do not take UNIV 103 seminars may take one elective instead
G2 block rules
- “Foundations” Math course does not count in
G2block. TWOcourses in “natural sciences” & TWO from 1 department.
- Register for GRAD 999 placeholder course Fall or Spring term in which you plan to graduate.
- Submit graduation application by
- May be used for any major requirement in consultation with Chair
- ENGL 230 can be used as an elective
Duesemester before graduation
Rules for graduating
- At least 30 credits must be done at MU, and 50% of major, excluding student teaching.
- Transfer credits do not count toward GPA, except for determining honors.