English Major Advising Reference Sheet
BSE Advising Reference Sheet
- Scheduling tips
- Plan on taking one course during summer or winter to stay on track (last semester is 12 credits)
- Must take TWO math courses, both with G2 label. No other restriction
Media Studies requirement
- ENGL 240 or ENGL 481 should be taken.
- Either will count in G1.
- Will count in G1.
- Because ENGL 220 and Media course count in G1, student will only need one G1 outside of ENGL.
- Try to cover this requirement with one of the English P courses as an elective to avoid taking an extra course.
- EDFN 211 counts as BSE Diversity course
- TWO levels needed: 1st before sophomore block registration; 2nd before graduating.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SCHOOL
- Required to get in: 2.8 cumulative GPA; TWO G2 Math courses; PRAXIS 1 satisfied; Clearances filed. ENGL 486.
- May not take other courses (other than EDSE 471) during student teaching
- As this semester has 12 total credit hours, 3 credit hours must be fulfilled earlier either during summer/winter or an 18 credit semester
BA Advising Reference Sheet
- Must take a minor outside of English, unless you choose ESL/Linguistics; Film Studies; or Journalism.
Journalism minor and Journalism option
- Recommend to work for Snapper freshmen and sophomore year.
- The option is good for BSEs interested in advising middle/high school papers.
- Required for all BAs
- ENGL Special Study course recommended for BAs interested in graduate school and writing studies.
- Needs approval from a faculty advisor, Chair, and Dean. Request for special study should be submitted before or during the ADD period for the semester.
- Later requests may not be approved.
- Minors: Two courses in Gen Ed blocks, one course from major, except for Journalism Minors who cannot count any major courses in minor.
- Options: Courses from anywhere else in the major or Gen Ed curriculum.
- Gen Ed: “D” & “W” courses count anywhere.
- Must take placement to get a math class.
- Must take placement to take a language course at 200 level or higher
- Before 15 credits have been earned, students may take a general equivalency test for 6 credits: ENGL 110 & 1xx (G1), and subject area equivalency for ENGL 230, 234, 236.
Gen Ed Courses
- Any G-Block course may count
- Students who do not take UNIV 103 seminars may take one elective instead
G2 block rules
- “Foundations” Math course does not count in G2 block.
- TWO courses in “natural sciences” & TWO from 1 department.
- Register for GRAD 999 placeholder course Fall or Spring term in which you plan to graduate.
- Submit graduation application by published deadline.
- Your DARS should read 97% when you submit your application. If it doesn't, you should discuss with your adviser.
- You can walk in May even if you complete your degree with courses in summer.
- Turn in a current DARS report with your graduation application.
- You must have 120 credits by PA law, even if you have completed all degree requirements.
- May be used for any major requirement in consultation with Chair.
- ENGL 230 can be used as an elective if you are a transfer student who transferred it in.
- Due semester before graduation.
- Must be submitted before graduation application can be signed.
Rules for graduating
- At least 30 credits must be done at MU, and 50% of major, excluding student teaching.
- Transfer credits do not count toward GPA, except for determining honors.