The program of the Language and Culture Studies department is firmly based on the World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages. These are the learning outcomes that guide our instruction:
- Students demonstrate proficiency in oral communication by engaging in conversations with others and making presentations in the target language.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in written communication in the target language.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in comprehending and interpreting written and oral texts in the target language.
- Students demonstrate awareness of historical and political realities of diverse countries, regions, and ethnic groups and critical thinking in discussing these realities.
- Students are able to compare and contrast significant historical and current developments and traditions in their home culture and in the cultures where the target language is spoken.
- Students demonstrate competency in the analysis of cultures and knowledge of cultural texts.