Millersville University is one of fourteen universities that comprise the collective bargaining environment of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). Though representatives of PASSHE provide centralized labor negotiations, grievance and arbitration services to the fourteen member institutions, the individual university must remain proactively responsive to the myriad of local issues presented through the various collective bargaining agreements.
Labor Relations is responsible for providing advice and assistance to supervisors, managers, and administrators regarding employees affected by collective bargaining agreements. That advice and assistance could include:
- Interpreting contract language.
- Developing strategies to address concerns regarding employee attendance.
- Proper utilization of progressive discipline.
- Training supervisors on policy and collective bargaining issues.
- Representing management in collective bargaining negotiations and the employee grievance process.
- Applying state and federal law in conjunction with the collective bargaining agreement(s).
- Addressing changes in departmental policy and procedure which have labor relations implications such as contracting out or changing work schedules.
Pursuant to Millersville University’s ongoing commitment to providing a proactive labor environment, Labor Relations may also be responsible for addressing employee requests for assistance with the variety of labor relations issues.
Millersville University is very proud of its historic dedication to its employees and to working effectively with each employee labor organization. Currently, the following six of the seven employee labor organizations that are found within PASSHE have an employee presence on the campus of Millersville University:
- American Federation of State, Federal and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- Association of Pennsylvania State College and Universities Faculties (APSCUF)
- Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties For Non-Faculty Athletic Coaches (APSCUF-Coaches)
- Office of Professional Employees International Union Healthcare Pennsylvania (OPEIU)
- Pennsylvania Doctors Alliance (PDA)
- State College and University Professional Association (SCUPA)
- Security, Police and Fire Professionals of America (SPFPA)
For additional information regarding labor relations at Millersville University, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (717)872-3017.