Returning Student-Athlete Medical Clearance Instructions
Returner Student-Athlete Medical Clearance Requirements
Student-athletes who competed for Millersville University during the 2019-2020 academic year must complete the following in order to be medically cleared for the 2020-2021 seasons:
- An updated Sportsware account
- An updated medical history
- A baseline mental health screen*
- A pre-participation exam+
*The mental health screen will be completed with the athletic trainers upon the student-athelte's return to campus. Evaluations completed with other providers do not meet the clearance criteria.
+There are restrictions and specific criteria that the pre-participation exam must meet. Additional details about are listed in the Pre-Participation Exam section below.
Updating Your Sportsware Account
Use the reset password function if you are unable to login. If you are still unable to login after resetting your password contact Head Athletic Trainer Heather Wolfe. Do not create a new account.
- Locate the statement in the middle of the page that reads “Your athlete information is incomplete click here to complete it” and click on it.
- Click on the "Insurance" tab.
- Complete the required fields marked with a red *
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Insurance Card" section
- Click the "Choose File" button and select the file with the photo of the front of your insurance card.
- Click the "Add" button next the to "Front Uploaded" option
- Click the "Choose File" button again and select the file with the phot of the back of your insurance card.
- Click the "Add" button next to the "Back Uploaded" option
- Click the "Save" button at the top right of the screen. Your work will be lost if you leave the page without saving.
It is highly recommended that
Updating Your Medical History
- Login to Sportsware
- Locate the statement that reads "Your medical history is incomplete click here to complete it" and click on it.
- Responses are required to all questions. Carefully read and honestly answer each question. When you have finished click on the "Save" button in the upper right corner of the screen. Your progress will be lost if you do not save before leaving the page.
Baseline Mental Health Assessment
The baseline mental health assessment will be completed with the athletic trainers upon student-atheltes' return to campus. Exams completed with other medical providers DO NOT meet the medical clearance criteria.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, student-athletes with no significant medical history/concerns who competed in Millersville University Athletics during the 2019-2020 academic year have the option of completing their pre-participation exam with their primary care physician. The following considerations and limitations apply:
- Only returning student-athletes can complete their pre-participation exam with their primary care physician. All student-athletes new to Millersville University Athletics must complete their pre-participation exam with the supervising team physician.
- Student-athletes who sustained serious injuries or have significant medical history will still see the team physician for their pre-participation exam. This is determined at the discretion of the athletic trainers. Conditions that would require a team physician exam include, but are not limited to: chronic health conditions, multiple concussions, and injuries that required surgery. Please contact Heather Wolfe (email@example.com) with any specific questions regarding this component.
- The Millersville University supervising team physician makes the final decision on clearance to participate. In some cases, follow-up with the team physician will be required before the student-athlete is cleared to participate.
- The earliest date of exam accepted is May 1, 2020. Exams completed prior to this date do not fulfill the pre-participation exam requirement.
- Pre-participation physical exams completed with primary care physicians must be uploaded to Sportsware no later than July 27, 2020. Instructions on uploading the exam paperwork are provided below.
- Student-athletes also have the option to complete their pre-participation exam upon their return to campus. Student-athletes who do not upload a pre-participation exam by July 27, 2020 will be scheduled to complete this exam with the team physician upon their return to campus.
Uploading Your Pre-Participation Exam
- Click "Add" in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click "Choose File." Select the file that contains your exam. Title the file FirstName.LastName.Sport.PPE.2020_20201
- Your screen should show that the exam has been uploaded. Click "Ok"
Contact Heather Wolfe with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org
Millersville University's Sportsware page can be accessed here.