Teacher Shortage Summit
Tuesday, May 17, 2022
Quality education starts with high-quality, effective teachers. This one day summit will bring together teachers, administrators, policy makers, community leaders and university educators to discuss the challenges and opportunities. The interactive day will begin with a keynote address and include a series of breakout sessions to discuss specific aspects of the teacher shortage and envision potential avenues for future success.
|Sustainable Development Goal #4: Quality Education|
|This global goal focuses on ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all.|
Kelly Coash-Johnson currently serves as the Executive Director of the American Association of School Personnel Administrators (AASPA). Kelly is a leading national voice on the topic of the teacher shortage and has spoken to several national conferences.
Slide deck for the Keynote Address - click here
Tuesday, May 17, 2022
- Opening/welcome - President Daniel A. Wubah
9:15-10:00 Keynote Address - Kelly Coash-Johnson, Executive Director, AAPSA
10:00-10:10 Introduce Breakout Sessions / Setting Summit Expectations
- Introduce guiding question for the day: What changes in current structures, supports, and policies would help to alleviate the teacher shortage in central PA?
- Facilitator: Jamie Kasper, Director of the Arts Education Partnership
10:10-10:30 Break and transition to breakout sessions
10:30 to 11:15 Breakout sessions on various topics
11:15-11:30 Transition to Lunch
11:30-12:15 Lunch - Harvey Owen Salon and Atrium
12:15-12:30 Break and Transition to Workshop Space
12:30-1:00 Overview of consensus workshop - Jamie Kasper
- Share context and review workshop question - What changes in current structures, supports, and policies would help to alleviate the teacher shortage in central PA?
- Individual brainstorming time – list 10 ideas you have for structures, supports, and policies to alleviate the teacher shortage
1:00-1:10 Transition to small groups
1:10-1:30 Small group discussion – various classrooms in the Ware Center
- Share ideas and Reach Consensus
1:30-1:40 Transition to Large Group Space
1:40-3:30 Large Group Workshop
Eventbrite Link for event tickets (free of charge):
Venue / Parking
Logistics on Location and Parking
The Ware Center – Millersville University
42 N. Prince St.
Lancaster, PA 17603
Millersville University's Ware Center is Lancaster’s premier performing arts center. Located on Lancaster’s famous Gallery Row, our mission is to foster creativity, learning, and understanding in our great community.
Parking: Event parking at the Ware Center can be found at the Prince Street Garage (corner of Prince and Orange) or the Hager surface lot, both of which are within a block of our facility.
Sponsors and Partners
Thanks for your support and advocacy!
- Millersville University - Department of Educational Foundations
- Millersville University - Department of Early, Middle and Exceptional Education
- Millersville University - College of Education and Human Services
- Office of Community Engagement, Governmental and Economic Development
Program and Event Committee:
- Dr. Ollie Dreon (co-chair)
- Dr. Tim Mahoney (co-chair)
- Dr. Marcia Bolton
- Dr. Sharon Brusic
- Dr. Lesley Collabucci
- Dr. Jason Davis
- Dr. James Delle
- Dr. Victor DeSantis
- Dr. Leslie Gates
- Dr. Ellen Long
- Dr. Jennifer Shettel
- Dr. Deborah Tamakloe
- Dr. Miriam Witmer
- Dr. Tiffany Wright
- Matthew Stem (IU13)
- Flip Steinour (IU13)
- Mike Bromirski (Hempfield SD)
- Ashley Keele (SDOL)
- Alissa Totten (SDOL)
- Jamie Kasper (Arts Education Partnership)