B.S. Public Relations
Our graduates build and maintain positive relationships between organizations and their key publics. They also develop strong reputations for corporations, small businesses, government and community benefit organizations. Whether in agency or corporate environments, our graduates contribute to ethical communication in professional settings, online, and in their own media relationships. Students will gain confidence in their abilities to pitch story ideas, create social media content, work in teams and develop strategic messages and campaign plans with a series of courses that culminate in a capstone experience.
Why Study This Program
Millersville University’s Public Relations program balances study of the discipline in classroom and applied settings. The foundation of effective strategic communication and public relations consists of communication and public relations theory, social science research, media studies, digital communication, cultural studies and more.
- Our curriculum: Millersville's curriculum follows standards set by Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Our award winning PRSSA chapter partners with the Central PA Chapter of PRSA. Membership in PRSSA provides students opportunities to attend conferences and learn from professionals and gain access to PRSSA internships and PRSA resources.
- Our internship opportunities offer students hands-on experiences to apply the knowledge they have learned in the classroom to real-world work situations.
“Immediately after graduation, my Spring internship became a full-time position. As an Associate at a boutique PR agency, no day is the same. Public Relations is everywhere and it's at all times. My degree has served me in more ways than I could put into words. To mention a few skills that I've been able to practice - answer the question being asked and have plan B and C ready when you're presenting plan A. I can't stress enough how on your toes this field will have you - be quick, in the know and strategic. ”- Fayra Molina | 2021
What Will You Learn?
Students study communication to enhance skills in persuasion and influence, and take public relations courses that engage them in understanding the field, writing, research and campaign development.
Additional courses teach communication and media law, digital media writing, social media, crisis communication, health communication and more. More advanced classes allow students to work in simulated agencies on behalf of area nonprofit organizations.
The Strategic Public Relations option is available as a Speech Communication minor.
- Account Executive
- Brand Manager
- Campaign Director
- Chief Strategy Officer
- Digital Marketing
- Employee Relations
- Event Coordinator
- Fundraising Manager
- Government Affairs Specialist
- Public Relations Specialist
- Marketing Coordinator
- Media Relations Specialist
- Multicultural Relations
- Public Information Officer
- Advertising and Promotion Manager
- Green Marketers
- Social Media Director
- Social Media Analyst
- Web Content Creator
Many of our students major or minor in other programs to gain insights and experience that allows them to specialize. Millersville University also offers a Multi-Disciplinary Studies degree, where students can “build their own” program. Below are some of the programs in which our students can obtain a double major or minor in combination with the Public Relations program:
- Art & Design
- Business (Marketing or Management)
- Graphic Communication Technology
- Media Arts Production
- Social Work/Social Justice
Public Relations Faculty
Explore the links below to learn more about the faculty in the public relations department.