Surplus Property Procedure
Internal Surplus Property Procedures
The following steps are taken whenever a department wishes to declare any asset or other property as surplus:
- A Request for Moving Furniture or Equipment Form is received from a department, asking the Purchasing Office to surplus equipment or other property. The Purchasing Manager will prepare a bid with all information necessary for the advertising and disposal of the surplus items. A bid number is assigned, with a description of the items are logged as a SURPLUS.doc
- By Council of Trustees resolution dated April 16, 1987, property with an original cost in excess of $10,000 must be approved for surplus by the Trustees in advance. Capital assets (with a value of $1,000 to $10,000) to be surplused must be reported to the Trustees after the fact. The condition of surplus items is reported as either "poor" or "obsolete".
- An E-mail summarizing the surplus items is sent to various campus departments, including Academic Deans and Vice Presidents, to solicit internal interest. The E-mail list used is called "Campus Surplus Contacts". names can be added or deleted as needed. Items are only available for University use and not for employees personal use. One week is allowed for internal responses. Items are removed from the surplus list.
- A letter is prepared summarizing the surplus items and sent to non-profit agencies to solicit their interest. The surplus item list is the same as described in Step 3, less any items selected in Step 3. A five(5) day response period is given to recipients of this letter. Step 5 begins only after the response period ends. In cases where a response is received from a non-profit agency, those items will be placed in a lot (or lots) as deemed appropriate by the Assistant Director of Purchasing. Agencies may arrange to view the items in advance. Agencies will then have to opportunity to bid on the specific lot(s) in which they are interested at the same time as other bidders.
- Public notifications are provided to dispose surplus equipment.
- Awards are made to the highest bidder. The successful bidder(s) will be called and given the department contact person's name and phone number to arrange a pick up date and time.
- Payment is made directly to the Purchasing Office, before a buyer is permitted to pick up the goods. A copy of the receipt is retained for the surplus folder.
- Employees cannot bid on surplus property.
- The Storeroom/Receiving Office is notified of all capital assets which are sold to update asset inventory.