Degree Audits and Academic Advisement

Advisement Before Registration

Advisement is required for all undergraduate students. Well in advance of your registration time, meet with your adviser to discuss your degree program and course selection options, as well as any other concerns you may have. After you register for classes, be sure to review your degree audit to see how your courses will meet the requirements of your program.

Changing Your Major

If you plan to change your major, you must submit an approved Change of Major form to the Office of Academic Advisement in Lyle Hall by that office's deadline. Change of Major forms are available at the Academic Advisement Office, Lyle (second floor) and, for your convenience, on the web at the Student Forms Center. They require the signatures of your adviser and department chairperson. If you delay in filing this form, your major change may not be processed in time for your registration, and you may not be able to register for courses restricted to your new major.

Questions About an Audit

If you have questions about a degree audit, or you think there might be errors or discrepancies, contact one of the offices listed below for further assistance:

  • For curricular questions about the major, minor, or general education requirements, contact the chairperson of your major department.
  • Contact the Registrar's Office for questions concerning transfer courses, Millersville courses and grades, and in-progress courses.
  • For questions regarding exceptions to graduation requirements, a change of major or minor, or for assistance with any other type of question, contact the Office of Academic Advisement.

What-If Degree Audits

A 'What-If' audit allows you and your adviser to see the effects of changing a major or option, declaring a major, or adding or changing a minor before officially changing your record. If you are undecided about a major, the what-if audit is a useful tool to try out different majors and see how your courses will meet the requirements for those programs.

'What-If' audits are best used for single majors, with multiple concentrations or minors. 

'What-If' audits can be run for multiple majors within a degree program (for example: Psychology and Sociology since both majors are Bachelor of Arts)

'What-If' audits can't be run for multiple degrees (for example: a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Biology).  Separate What-If audits would need to be run for each degree/major in this case.

For multiple majors or or multiple degrees, some requirements may alter slightly when your record is officially changed.  For example, a major in Geography requires a minor to be declared which is waived if you have a second major.  The 'What-If' audit is unable to recognize that you have declared multiple majors, so it will not waive the minor requirement.