Wickersham-Burrowes Fund for Excellence in the Arts
APPLY HERE - APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
FUNDS AVAILABLE FOR THIS AWARD ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED AND ONCE EXHAUSTED WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. Contact Rene Munoz for more information or questions.
The Wickersham-Burrowes Fund for Excellence in the Arts was established to encourage and facilitate projects enriching the educational experience of Millersville students pursuing projects in the arts.
Awards will be made to students or faculty, with priority going to proposals requesting non-tuition
support such as, but not limited to:
- National or international student study abroad
- Student instrument rental or purchase fees
- Student art supplies Second preference will be given to students requesting tuition support. These funds, awarded as scholarships, will go to students majoring in the arts with demonstrated financial need.
Examples of programs qualifying for consideration:
- On- or off- campus research, performances, competitions, exhibits or other professional
development or scholarly activities contributing to the student educational experience, including
- Active participation in conferences, symposia, and other meetings;
- Field trips to museums, galleries, theatres, and other cultural settings
- Tuition assistance for continued enrollment at Millersville, or tuition assistance for student travel abroad programs.
Applicants may ask for up to $5,000. Awards will be made on a reimbursement basis. Awardees will be required to submit a short final report and receipts or other proof of expenses to receive reimbursement. Final reports and receipts, etc. can be submitted to Rene Munoz, Director Sponsored Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or can be delivered to Lyle 345 .
Equipment purchases can be considered under this grant. Any equipment including instruments purchased with award funds must be returned to the office of Sponsored Programs and will become the p roperty of the College. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the committee.
Recipients of Wickersham-Burrows fund are strongly encouraged to present at the Made in Millersville within a year of the award. If a student receives this award in the Fall semester and is graduating i December, then they must make arrangements with their faculty sponsor for the work to be shown at Made in Millersville in the Spring following the award.
Awards are renewable, but a new application is required each year.
Application and Award Procedures
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. For projects in the visual or performing arts, the narrative should include:
- Project inspiration or background
- Project purpose and/or related research
- Learning objectives (if relevant)
- Other, related Exhibit or performance opportunities you may pursue, if relevant
- How the grant experience will impact your professional development
The Director of the Office of Visual and Performing Arts, who will serve as chair, will assemble an ad hoc committee MU arts faculty twice a semester to evaluate the proposals and make awards to all, some or none of the proposal received in the prior months. The committee will make funding recommendations
to the chair, who will have final authority in making awards.
The committee and chair have the responsibility of awarding the most competitive and compelling
proposals and will exercise discretion to ensure that only the highest quality and most impactful projects
are funded. That said, the preference is to make a small number of larger awards, though this will not
preclude either smaller (<$1000) or larger (>$2000) requests from consideration.