Veterans Resource Center

Welcome to the Millersville University Veterans Resources Page!

We are grateful for your service to our country and are ambitious to bring you a comprehensive menu of resources to help you succeed at Millersville University!

We are proud to serve you as a military-friendly institution! Below, you’ll find what you need to get started as a new or transfer student as well as how to manage your benefits should you be called to duty, enroll in summer or winter courses, etc.

Yvonne DeBlois, Veterans Resource Center Administrator

Student Affairs

PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
Telephone: 717-871-7083

The Veterans Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid at Millersville University handles all paperwork for individuals applying for the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits. This office is also your link to the DVA in cases of problems with educational benefit processing.

Certifying Official 

Office of Financial Aid
PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
Telephone: 717-871-5100
Fax: 717-871-7980

For advisement and registration assistance, contact Joseph Sciarretta, Advisement Coordinator. Mr. Sciarretta provides resources and support to assist Vets in adapting to the personal and academic transition to the University.  He specializes in discharge classifications that may directly affect learning needs that would be eligible for educational accommodations and academic strategies for success.

Advisement Coordinator
Office: Lyle Hall 262
Phone: 717-871-7609

Veteran Resource Center

We are grateful for your service to our country and are ambitious to bring you a comprehensive menu of resources to...

Veteran Resource Center

Among the many opportunities and resources available to veterans, student soldiers, and their families at Millersville University is now the opportunity to qualify for the in-state tuition rate (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) as a result of the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act) and Commonwealth Act 11 enacting PA House Bill 131.

To qualify for this in-state tuition rate, any out-of-state student who is eligible for educational benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA) must provide proof of Pennsylvania residency on the first day of the semester in which they wish to be enrolled, which can include student housing. In addition to the documents requested to certify VA educational benefits (listed below), the out-of-state student must provide proof of PA residency (valid PA driver’s license, a copy of a lease (or mortgage bill, if a homeowner), utility bill, etc).

Please contact the Veterans Resource Center at 717-871-4343 for more information. The Veterans Resource Center is located on campus in Mercer House at 28 W Cottage Avenue.

VA Site Navigation

Students and families often have questions regarding financial aid and specific topics that apply to Veterans and student soldiers. Below you will find information pertaining specifically to Millersville University's Veteran and student soldier population. Read the information carefully and make sure to click on any links that may provide more detail. If you need further guidance, please contact the Office of Financial Aid, VA Certifying Official.

  • Getting Started

    1. Apply to join our Marauder Community!

    2. Apply for any military educational benefits by clicking here

       *Veterans and Service members with a service-related disability may be eligible for Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) benefits. To learn more about this program or to apply, please click here.

    3. Connect with the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) located on campus in Mercer House. The VRC is staffed by student veterans using the VA Work-Study program. The VRC can assist with the transition to the university and coordinate other helpful resources. 

    4. Those accepted into a major should reach their department chair for advisement questions and concerns. For other advisement questions or for more information about progress within your major, please contact Joe Sciarretta in the Office of Academic Advisement & Student Devlopment at 717-871-7609 or by emailing

    5. Students must fill out the below VA Enrollment Certification Form each semester after you have registered for classes. The VA Enrollment Certification Form lets the VA Certifying Officials know you want to be certified for your classes, gives you the opportunity to update your current contact information, and gives Millersville University the permission to release your information to the VA.  

    Certification with the VA is not automatic. Forms can be printed from your computer, completed by you, and sent back to the Office of Financial Aid - Attn: VA Certifying Official, via email, fax, or in person. Financial Aid is located in Lyle hall and can be reached at or by calling 717-871-5100. Our fax number is 717-871-7980. 

    "GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at " 

  • School Certified Benefit Programs
    • Service after 7/1/85
    • 3 or 2 years of continuous Active Duty 
    • GED or High School Diploma
    • Contributes $100 per month for first 12 months
    • Accrues at the rate of 1 month for each month of Active Duty up to 36 months
    • Needs a 10% VA disability or more to apply
    • As many as 48 months of entitlement 
    CHAPTER 33 - POST 9/11 GI BILL ® 
    • Served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty since 09/10/01; and is still on active duty or was honorably discharged
    • Served 30 days on active duty and was honorably discharged for a military service-determined medical condition 
    • For spouses and children of 100% service-connected disabled veterans or spouses/children of veterans who died in service

    Enlist or re-enlist:

    • For 6 or more years in the Selected Reserves after 7/1/85
    • GED or High School Diploma 
    • Completed the initial Active Duty for training
    • Completed 180 days of service in the Selected Reserves
    • You must verify your enrollment for each month to receive payment for that month. You can submit your enrollment certifications via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program on by touch-tone telephone at 1-877-823-2378 (toll-free). If your enrollment has changed during the month, you must verify your enrollment through the WAVE program
    • Serve a minimum of 90 consecutive days on Active Service after 9/11/01
    • Remain with your component
  • Federal & State Benefit Programs

    If you are in the PA National Guard, be sure to apply for your tuition benefits in April through your unit if you are eligible.  In some cases, EAP can reduce other sources of financial aid such as Federal SEOG and the Federal Direct Loan(s).  Millersville University will pay the EAP funds to the student account once we have received your information on the roster from the National Guard or once we have received a letter of eligibility from the National Guard.

    Per state guidelines, military aid, such as Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and CH 33 Post 9/11 Gi Bill ® will be taken into consideration and may reduce your EAP award, even if Millersville University is notified after your aid has disbursed.

    • The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform per semester hour cap of $250 for tuition assistance (FTA) and an annual ceiling of $4,500. 
    • Your military branch will pay 100 percent of tuition costs up to the DoD semester hour cap of $250 per semester cap for up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year.
    • School fees are not eligible for funding with FTA 
    • Students can apply for FTA through their branch portal to get approval for use of these funds
    • Once approval has been received, send a copy of the approval letter to Certifying Official Giselle Bermudez, in the Office of Financial Aid.

    Find more information on the military branches that offer FTA:


  • Early Course Registration

    Students who receive VA Education Benefits may also be eligible to receive priority registration for their classes at Millersville!

    • If you currently receive VA Education Benefits or have received benefits in the past, you will be notified by the Registrar's Office when you are eligible to register. After you receive email notification, you can contact your advisor to obtain your priority registration code. 
    • If you do not currently utilize VA Education Benefits, contact Emi Alvarez in the Office of Financial Aid to initiate priority registration. A DD214 may be required for proof of veteran status. Once your status has been confirmed you can contact your advisor to obtain your priority registration code. 
    • Dependents and Spouses receiving VA Education Benefits are not eligible for priority registration.


  • Military Leave of Absence

    The Military Leave of Absence is specifically for students who are being deployed overseas or to assist in a national catastrophe. This does not include students enlisting in the military or going to basic training.

    Students who are called to active duty must have:

    • a completed Military Leave of Absence Form (form available here)
    • a copy of their military deployment orders
    • Take both of those items to the Registrar’s Office in Lyle Hall, first floor, for assistance with arranging a leave of absence and their subsequent return to the University.

    Students who expect to return to class within the current semester to complete their coursework, or who are called to duty after completing a significant part of the course requirements, should contact their faculty regarding missed work. Students who cannot complete the current semester will be granted a leave of absence for military duty and will be allowed to return for the next semester without penalty.

  • Important Phone Numbers & Websites

    Government Phone Numbers and Websites

    Phone Number

    U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs Education Services


    Vocational Rehabilitation


    VA Monthly Enrollment Verification


    Start, stop, or change Direct Deposit


    U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
    (home loans, disability, medical care, burial, life insurance)


    VA Health Information


    Military Websites


    Air Force




    Coast Guard






    Other Important Contact Information


    Life Insurance


    Health Care Benefits


    Gulf War/Agent Orange Help    




    1-303-331-7804 (fax)
    P.O. Box 65023
    Denver, CO 80206-9023

  • Military Scholarships

    The overall goals and intent of the organization is to provide a place for students and veterans to receive support and assistance in attending and successfully graduating from college. Further, we look to utilize the skills that our Veteran students have learned about how to adjust to changes in life and then pass that along to incoming and current students having a difficult time adjusting to civilian college life. The student veteran's organization will also be a source of support for families of soldiers who are currently or preparing for deployments related to military service.

    The organization is free to join.  For more information on the Student Veteran's Association, see their webpage.