Veterans Resource Center
Welcome to the Millersville University Veterans Resources Page!
We are grateful for your service to our country and are ambitious to bring you a comprehensive menu of resources to help you succeed at Millersville University!
The mission of the Veterans Resource Center is to support, engage, and retain veteran and military connected students at Millersville University.
VETERANS RESOURCE CENTER ADMINISTRATOR
The VRC Administrator manages the daily operations of the center as well as hiring and supervising student staff.
Aly Sehl, Assistant Director of Campus Life for Commuter & Veteran Services
VETERANS CERTIFYING OFFICIAL
The Veterans Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid at Millersville University handles all paperwork for individuals applying for the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits. This office is also your link to the DVA in cases of problems with educational benefit processing.
Brandyn Whitmyer, Certifying Official
Office of Financial Aid
PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
VETERAN ACADEMIC ADVISEMENT COORDINATOR
For advisement and registration assistance, contact Joseph Sciarretta, Advisement Coordinator. Mr. Sciarretta provides resources and support to assist Vets in adapting to the personal and academic transition to the University. He specializes in discharge classifications that may directly affect learning needs that would be eligible for educational accommodations and academic strategies for success.
Joseph Sciarretta, Advisement Coordinator
Office: Lyle Hall 262
Veteran Resource Center
We are grateful for your service to our country and are ambitious to bring you a comprehensive menu of resources to...
Veteran Resource Center
Among the many opportunities and resources available to veterans, student soldiers, and their families at Millersville University is now the opportunity to qualify for the in-state tuition rate (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) as a result of the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act) and Commonwealth Act 11 enacting PA House Bill 131.
To qualify for this in-state tuition rate, any out-of-state student who is eligible for educational benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA) must provide proof of Pennsylvania residency on the first day of the semester in which they wish to be enrolled, which can include student housing. In addition to the documents requested to certify VA educational benefits (listed below), the out-of-state student must provide proof of PA residency (valid PA driver’s license, a copy of a lease (or mortgage bill, if a homeowner), utility bill, etc).
Please contact the Veterans Resource Center at 717-871-4343 for more information. The Veterans Resource Center is located on campus in Mercer House at 28 W Cottage Avenue.
Veteran and Military Benefits
Students and families often have questions regarding financial aid and specific topics that apply to Veterans and student soldiers. Below you will find information pertaining specifically to Millersville University's Veteran and student soldier population. Read the information carefully and make sure to click on any links that may provide more detail. If you need further guidance, please contact the Office of Financial Aid, VA Certifying Official.
1. Apply to join our Marauder Community!
2. Apply for any military educational benefits by clicking here.
*Veterans and Service members with a service-related disability may be eligible for Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) benefits. To learn more about this program or to apply, please click here.
*Student can apply for FTA (Federal Tuition Assistance) through their branch portal to get approval.
3. Connect with the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) located on campus in Mercer House. The VRC is staffed by student veterans using the VA Work-Study program. The VRC can assist with the transition to the university and coordinate other helpful resources.
4. Those accepted into a major should reach their department chair for advisement questions and concerns. For other advisement questions or for more information about progress within your major, please contact Joe Sciarretta in the Office of Academic Advisement & Student Devlopment at 717-871-7609 or by emailing Joe.Sciarretta@millersville.edu.
5. Students must fill out the Internal VA Enrollment Certification Form each semester after you have registered for classes. These semester specific forms are located Here under "Applying for Benefits". The VA Enrollment Certification Form lets the VA Certifying Officials know you want to be certified for your classes, gives you the opportunity to update your current contact information, and gives Millersville University the permission to release your information to the VA.
Certification with the VA is not automatic. Forms can be printed from your computer, completed by you, and sent back to the Office of Financial Aid - Attn: VA Certifying Official, via email, fax, or in person. Financial Aid is located in Lyle hall and can be reached at email@example.com or by calling 717-871-5100. Our fax number is 717-871-7980.
"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. "
Early Course Registration
Students who receive VA Education Benefits may also be eligible to receive priority registration for their classes at Millersville!
- If you currently receive VA Education Benefits or have received benefits in the past, you will be notified by the Registrar's Office when you are eligible to register. After you receive email notification, you can contact your advisor to obtain your priority registration code.
- If you do not currently utilize VA Education Benefits, contact Emi Alvarez in the Office of Financial Aid to initiate priority registration. A DD214 may be required for proof of veteran status. Once your status has been confirmed you can contact your advisor to obtain your priority registration code.
- Dependents and Spouses receiving VA Education Benefits are not eligible for priority registration.
Military Leave of Absence
The Military Leave of Absence is specifically for students who are being deployed overseas or to assist in a national catastrophe. This does not include students enlisting in the military or going to basic training.
Students who are called to active duty must have:
- a completed Military Leave of Absence Form (form available here)
- a copy of their military deployment orders
- Take both of those items to the Registrar’s Office in Lyle Hall, first floor, for assistance with arranging a leave of absence and their subsequent return to the University.
Students who expect to return to class within the current semester to complete their coursework, or who are called to duty after completing a significant part of the course requirements, should contact their faculty regarding missed work. Students who cannot complete the current semester will be granted a leave of absence for military duty and will be allowed to return for the next semester without penalty.
Academic Support Services
The Veterans Resource Center staff can provide help connect our veteran and military connected students to student support services across campus. From personal counseling, academic and learning services to guidance for internships and job placement, Millersville University is here to assist you.
Important Phone Numbers & Websites
Government Phone Numbers and Websites
Start, stop, or change Direct Deposit
U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
(home loans, disability, medical care, burial, life insurance)
Other Important Contact Information
Health Care Benefits
Gulf War/Agent Orange Help
P.O. Box 65023
Denver, CO 80206-9023
- Pat Tillman Foundation
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Fisher House Foundation
- Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program
- Raytheon Patriot Scholarship
- Raytheon SVA Scholarship
- The Accenture SVA Scholarship
- Dolphin Scholarship Foundation
- The Tailhook Educational Foundation
- AMVETS National Scholarship Program
- Afghanistan & Iraq War Veterans Scholarship
- Educational Gratuity Program