Emergency Management Online Degree Completion Program
Emergency Management is the academic discipline providing education and training on theoretical and practical concepts and issues related to preparedness, planning, and mitigation for disaster-resilient communities.
This online program is designed for recent community college graduates and learners working in or entering fields in fire service, police service, emergency management, crisis and risk management, disaster and contingency planning, environmental response professionals, homeland security, safety, and other emergency and disaster management personnel or related areas.
Emergency Management Programs
Listen to expert faculty members talk about the theoretical and applied experiences offered, and a student and alumna...
Why Study This Program
The Bachelor of Science in Emergency Management (BSEM) online degree-completion program will provide an in-depth understanding of the essentials of emergency management and prepare you to apply
theoretical underpinnings of the field to practice. You will obtain all-hazards knowledge from a scientific perspective and study the global, national, regional and local impacts of these events.
Completion of an internship or applied experience that focuses on application of theoretical information covered in major courses will expand the hands-on and practical elements of the degree curriculum.
What Will You Learn?
- Demonstrate knowledge of the five mission areas of emergency management and the role each plays in planning and mitigation.
- Apply theoretical underpinning of emergency management to practice.
- Examine the role terrorism plays in society and how it impacts public policy and decision-making.
- Identify core requirements of effective planning.
- Recognize effective methods for decision-making and problem-solving in emergency management.
- Exhibit competency in assessing risk susceptibility, resilience and vulnerability within a community or organization.
- Demonstrate knowledge of natural hazards in the context of emergency management.
- Interpret and analyze appropriate data and information technology related to natural hazards and emergency management.
- Show an understanding of the global, national, regional and local impact of disaster.
Topics You Will Learn
- All-hazards approach
- Natural hazards and associated impacts
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and other technology applied in the field of emergency management
- Fundamentals of emergency management
- Fundamentals of developing, designing and implementing preparedness and disaster plans
- Risk assessment and mitigation
- Business continuity and continuity of operations
- Crisis communications
- Social dimensions of disasters
- Disaster response and recovery
- Fundamentals of health and safety
- Disaster law and policy
- Emergency management directors
- Emergency management coordinators
- Emergency management specialists (e.g., GIS specialists)
- Emergency and disaster planners
- Disaster planning specialists
- Public health preparedness coordinators and specialists
- Relief organization personnel
- Private sector consultants
- Crisis and emergency communication specialists
- Public information officers
- Crisis and risk managers
- Environmental response professionals
- Decision support professionals
- Healthcare disaster professionals
- Clubs and Organizations
- Business Administration, Online Degree Completion Program
- Interactive and Graphic Design - Online Degree Completion Program
- Marketing Certificate - Online
- Marketing - Online Degree Completion Program
- Nursing/RN to BSN - Online
- Social Work (BASW) - Online Degree Completion Program
- Writing Studies - Online Degree Completion Program
Additional on-campus offerings are available related to this program.