VMC approves position to be filled - HR & Budget notified
HR sends draft JD to hiring manager (within two business days of VMC approval)
- Talent Acquisition Manager (TAM) works with hiring manager to make minor edits/updates to job description as needed
- If classification review is necessary, position must be sent back through VMC
||Hiring Manager establishes and charges Search Committee if one is required for position (as soon as VMC approval is received)
- Hiring manager must strive for diversity; committee should be as small as possible to be effective yet agile. HR will make suggestions related to selected committee members who may be unable to serve.
- Hiring manager & TAM meet with committee to charge committee, review PeopleAdmin steps, timeline, and position requirements.
||HR creates the Job Posting (within one day of final JD received by HR)
- Search Chair uploads Advertisement Plan to PeopleAdmin
- TAM coordinates with Hiring Manager/Search Chair to post the vacancy on appropriate job boards, MU website, and social media platforms
||Accept and Screen Applications (timelines as dictated by CBA’s; review with HR)
- Hiring manager/search committee - establish screening questions to be reviewed by HR for legal compliance (as soon as JD is finalized)
- Posting must include required questions for candidates to answer which match the requirements of the position
- These questions will be added to the Supplemental Questions section in the PeopleAdmin posting.
- This will help to eliminate candidates who do not meet the position’s minimum requirements, thereby reducing the search committee’s review time.
- Hiring manager or search committee review incoming applications to identify shortlisted candidates using screening spreadsheet.
||Conduct first round interviews (if necessary)
- Update screening spreadsheet.
||Conduct In-Person Interviews
- Invite promising candidates for in-person interviews.
- Organize panel interviews, technical assessments, or job-related tests as needed.
- Evaluate candidates' skills and communication during interviews.
- Rationale for non-selection is to be uploaded to PeopleAdmin to record the reasons for non-selection of all other interviewed candidates.
- Rationale for non-selection is a brief written statement describing why each candidate was not selected for hire as compared to the top candidate.
||Hiring manager - Make Verbal/Tentative Job Offer (as soon as possible after interviews are completed)
- Confirm appropriate salary with HR before extending offer
- Check References (hiring manager or search committee)
- HR initiates background checks
||Make a Job Offer (within one business day of when background check is complete/clear)
- HR - Once the candidate successfully completes the interview process, including initial background checks, extend a formal job offer in writing (no more than two business days).
- Clearly outline terms, conditions, salary, benefits, and the expected start date.
||HR Pre-Employment Tasks
- Once the offer is accepted, initiate pre-employment tasks, such as completing paperwork, tax forms, and setting up payroll.
- Provide information about policies, benefits, and orientation.
- Hiring Manager develops an onboarding plan to introduce the new employee to the university and department culture, policies, and their job responsibilities (using template provided by HR as a starting point).
- Hiring Manager arranges for necessary training and orientation sessions.
- Hiring Manager ensures all required equipment, access, and resources are ready on the first day.