Educator of The Year Award
The Educator of the Year Award is given annually to one faculty/staff member in recognition of sustained outstanding teaching to include counseling, mentoring, and advising of the undergraduate.
Criteria for Educator of the Year
Outstanding teaching and advising comes in many forms and thus it is difficult to list all the characteristics that would be worthy of an award. (The criteria listed here are intended to be suggestions.)
- Instill intellectual curiosity, a desire to learn and the importance of life-long learning.
- Stimulate learning through teaching, advising and/or counseling, modeling of scholarship, involving students in the learning process, expressing genuine concern for the student as a whole, setting of high standards, enthusiastic and passionate about their field.
- Demonstrate success and excellence through reference to the achievements of students.
- Encourage and demonstrate ethical behavior, integrated view of life, personal responsibility and integrity, leadership, clear and critical thinking and civic engagement.
- Influence on the way other colleagues teach, advise and/or counsel.
- Have an effect beyond the Millersville University community.
- Serious about academic excellence and meaningful life experiences of the students.
- Available to students, making them feel welcome and respected.
- Skillful in encouraging problem-solving techniques by helping students to think through issues and make decisions.
- Educators can receive this award no more frequently than once every ten years.
- The award will consist of:
- an opportunity for professional development money allocation
- display of the faculty member's picture on a plaque in a common area
- a plaque given to the faculty member
- an honorary seat at the spring graduation ceremony
- a spotlight article detailing the educator's pedagogical accomplishments
- a reserved parking spot on campus the following year
- The award will be presented to the Educator of the Year at the University Honors and Award ceremony.
- The recipient will be asked to speak at a university-sponsored event the following academic year.
- 2019-20 Dr. Caleb Corkery, English
- 2018-19 Dr. Carol E. Hepfer, Biology
- 2017-18 no award given
- 2016-17 Dr. Mehmet Goksu, Physics
- 2015-16 Dr. Sepideh Yalda, Earth Sciences
- 2014-15 Dr. Jennifer Wood, Communication and Theatre
- 2013-14 no award given
- 2012-13 Dr. Ed Rajaseelan, Chemistry
- 2011-12 Dr. John Wallace, Biology
- 2010-11 Dr. Susan Luek, Psychology