Forming a New Student Organization
Guidelines to Form A New Student Organization
The Student Government Association oversees the process to form a new student organization at Millersville University. Click here to download a description of their process. Once you have your required materials compiled you may submit the Request to Form New Student Organization on Get involved. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email the SGA Director of Organizations at SGAOrgs@millersville.edu
Below you will find the basic steps you must take before submitting your request.
Exclusivity and Duplication
*Organizations that exclude any student population are prohibited.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs and activities at the University unless such programs and activities are specifically exempt from the law. Considering Title IX, organizations that prohibit membership based on sex are prohibited from seeking temporary or permanent status.
Organizations that can provide proof of exemption will be considered. The criteria are as follows:
- The organization must have tax-exempt status under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code
- Members must be limited to students, staff or faculty at Millersville University
- The organization must be a “Social Fraternity” as defined by the Department of Education
a) The Department of Education defines a "Social Fraternity" as a group that can answer "no" to all the following questions:
- Is the organization’s membership limited to persons pursuing or having interest in a particular field of study, profession, or academic discipline?
- Is the membership limited to individuals who have a high level of achievement in scholarship or any other endeavor?Are the members permitted to hold membership in other fraternities or sororities at the University?
**If a group answers "yes" to any of the questions, it is not a "Social Fraternity" and is not exempt from the requirements of Title IX. Therefore, the organization must accept members of all sexes. Questions regarding this policy can be directed to staff in the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership.**
Organizations that share a purpose statement with an existing organization will not be considered for temporary status. See ‘Constitution’ for more information on a purpose statement.
STEP 1: MEMBERSHIP
An organization must have at least three (3) members to be considered for temporary status.
- Of these three members, they must include a President, Vice President and Treasurer.
- The positions of President, Vice President and Treasurer must all be filled by different students. Other positions can be created as necessary.
- Any organization that does not meet the minimal membership requirements will need to fill out the form entitled “Membership Appeal Form” on the Student Government Association Get Involved page.
STEP 2: CONSTITUTION
Organizations must have a constitution and submit it with their paperwork for temporary status. The constitution must include:
- The name of the organization will be called ________
a) NOTE any organization beginning with “Millersville University” or “MU” will not be considered for status. Please place University affiliation at the end of your organization name (e.g. The _____ Club of Millersville University)
- The purpose of the organization
a) How to create a perfect purpose statement:
• Explain the primary function/goals of the organization
• Explain how those goals will benefit the campus community
• Express what students will gain from joining the organization (networking skills, professional development opportunities, a group to unwind or relax with, etc.)
- A list of officers and their duties
- Membership information (such as who can join or any required dues)
- The following language must also be included:
a) “All Amendments to this Constitution shall not be valid until approved by the Student Organization Committee of the Student Government Association (SGA) and its body”
• SGA does this to ensure that every organization is keeping in line with University policies as both the University and your organization may go through policy changes.
b) “If this organization is dissolved, any remaining allocated funds should be forfeited to the Student Government Association, after all outstanding bills are paid”
• SGA does this to ensure that the Student Activities Fee never goes to waste. If your organization were to dissolve, we would want another organization to use the funding that your organization was unable to use.
- The name of the organization will be called ________
STEP 3: PETITION
Starting Your Organization
SGA requires that organizations submit a signature sheet and an advisor letter of support along with their constitution. SGA also requires that you submit all of this documentation online via the Student Government Association GetInvolved page.
- 25 signatures from Millersville University students approving the creation of your organization
- Advisor letter of support
a) This is just a short letter of support from any faculty or staff member. The advisor should also indicate their involvement. We want organizations to have as many resources as possible and your advisor will act as your first contact in many situations.
- Fill out the “New Organization Request Form” (often this form is accompanied by academic year dates) to completion
a) This is where you will attach all of the aforementioned documentation
- After your organization has been approved by SGA, create a portal for you organization on GetInvolved.
a) To do this you will go to getinvolved.millersville.edu and click on “Organizations” at the top. Then, click on “Register” which is below “Register a New Organization” on the bottom, left side of the screen. Once you complete the registration you will receive a confirmation that your organization has been approved.
Once you have filled out the above forms, the Director of Organizations will contact you to set up a meeting with their committee. The committee will review the materials and vote on your organization. If it is approved, all of that information will go to full SGA. If it is approved by the body, your organization will be granted temporary status.
Once you are granted temporary status, you will receive a memorandum that established you as a temporary organization at Millersville. This form must be kept by your organization if you want to receive permanent status.
You must be a temporary organization for one full calendar year to apply for permanent status.
APPLYING FOR PERMANENT STATUS
An organization must have at least eight (8) members to be considered for permanent status.
• Of these eight members, they must include a President, Vice President and Treasurer.
• The positions of President, Vice President, and Treasurer must all be filled by different students. Other positions can be created as necessary.
• Any organization that does not meet the minimal membership requirements will need to fill out the form entitled “Membership Appeal Form” on the Student Government Association Get Involved page.
An organization is eligible to apply for permanent status one year after they were granted permanent status.
Requesters should send an email to the Director of Organizations asking to have a meeting with the Student Organizations committee to be heard for permanent status. Requesters don’t need to supply any documents just face questioning through the committee.
Once you have met with the committee, they will review the answers given and vote on your organization. If it is approved, all of that information will go to full SGA. If it is approved by the body, your organization will be granted permanent status.