Searching for Internships
Where to search for internships
Once you have received your academic department's approval to complete an internship, use the following resources to connect with employers and internship opportunities:
- Use Career Connection to search and filter positions. Once your résumé is uploaded, you may start searching for and applying directly to employers with positions posted in the database.
- Utilize Experiential Learning and Career Management (ELCM) staff in your internship search. Use our online appointment scheduler in Career Connection to schedule a one-on-one appointment with a staff member for assistance with your internship search.
- Contact employers directly for internships. Look for "careers" or "employment" links on their websites for internships and job openings.
- Consider the PA Commonwealth Public Service Intern (CPSI) program for over 1,000 paid internship openings each summer.
- Check with your academic advisor, many departments maintain listings of internship opportunities in your field of study.
- Attend job fairs. Employers often use fairs to identify students for internships as well as for full-time employment.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce of the city where you would like to work to obtain information about local employers.
- Network with friends, family, co-workers, supervisors, instructors, administrators, and professionals in your field of study. Let them know you are searching for an internship.
- Browse external third-party internship and employment resources and job boards.
NOTE: The external third-party employment resources and job boards listed below are not affiliated with Millersville University and are included because they may be of interest to members of the University community. Inclusion of any external resource does not indicate University sponsorship or endorsement of that resource.
Glassdoor for Students
REU - For Students | National Science Foundation
Teamworkonline - portal to Jobs in Sports
The Student Conservation Association
USAJobs for Students
Searching for Remote Internships:
LinkedIn Jobs: Search jobs by "Internships" and "Remote" for location.
COVINTERN: COVINTERN connects college students to employers with remote positions.
SkillCrush blog has some wonderful tips and resources for searching for remote internships.
Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS): eInterns complete (unpaid) work on projects that include helping counter violent extremism, strengthening human rights monitoring, developing virtual programs, engaging in digital communications, mapping, economic and political reporting, data analysis, graphic design, and app building. The vacancy announcements open in July each year.
To help you prepare for a virtual internship, familiarize yourself with the various software/systems (Zoom, GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams, Skype), online file sharing systems (Dropbox, Google Drive), and other communication tools (like Slack) used for remote work.