- The Math Assistance Center will be closed on Wednesday, 4/27, from 6pm - 8pm.
- The Math Assistance Center will be open through Monday, 5/2, and then will be closed until the start of the Summer session.
The Department of Mathematics provides programs of the highest quality leading to bachelor's degrees in mathematics and secondary mathematics education and master’s degrees in secondary mathematics education. The department has a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and offers a wide range of courses in pure and applied mathematics, statistics and mathematics education.
We focus on preparing our students for careers or graduate study in mathematical fields, including secondary mathematics teaching, pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics and actuarial science. We also serve the broader university community by providing a full range of introductory through advanced mathematics courses supporting students at all levels and with all majors.
With generous endowments and support from alumni and friends, the Mathematics Department offers several significant scholarships each year to incoming freshmen. Any student who applies to MU as a mathematics major will be automatically considered for one of our scholarships, based on academic merit. Students are welcome to submit additional supporting materials such as a personal statement and a list of extracurricular activities. For more details, see Departmental Scholarships.
- If you're trying to register for a math course but the section you want is closed, you need to visit the Math Department Office (208 Wickersham) during the first week of class and get on a Waiting List. Individual instructors are not permitted to give overrides for most math courses.
- Elementary and Special Education Majors are required to PASS the Math 104 Basic Skills Assessment before they will be permitted to register for Math 104 or Math 105. (This applies to transfer students, too!)
- All BSE Mathematics Majors and Post-Baccalaureate Certification students are required to compile a Mathematics Content Portfolio to fulfill the requirements for department certification. Those students who are registered in MATH 310/311 and above are required to submit materials for their content portfolio. The form and information is contained within this .pdf file.
Wickersham Hall, Room 208
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Department of Mathematics
P.O. Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551-0302
Some math courses require the purchase of a graphing calculator. The department supports the TI 83, 84, 85, and 86. Students should be aware that instructors may not be able to help them operate other calculators, and that other calculators may not contain the functions necessary to perform course work.
Some instructors may, at certain times, prohibit the use of calculators with symbolic mathematics capabilities such as the TI-89 or TI-92, even though ordinary graphing calculators are allowed. Students who purchase calculators with symbolic capabilities should be prepared to deal with these restrictions.
If you have any questions, please contact your instructor.