Who must take a placement assessment?
- A math placement assessment is required of all entering students unless you are transferring credit for a 100 level (or higher) MATH course.
- See below for which of the Math Placement Assessment and the Basic Skills Assessment you are required to take.
- Instructions on how to complete the assessment are given below, but you should check first which you are required to take.
- If you are in need of any special accommodations, please contact the Office of Learning Services at 717-871-5554.
Which placement test should I take?
- Early Childhood and Middle Level Education Majors ONLY:
- Incoming students who have declared Early Childhood Education and incoming students who are currently undeclared but intend to declare Elementary Education as a major need to take the Basic Skills Assessment (BST). There is a list of topics covered on the BST, a set of sample questions and their solutions on the BST Page. Please review this material before coming to take the BST.
- Incoming students who have declared Middle Level Education as their major or who are currently undeclared but intend to declare Middle Level Education as a major will be taking both the Basic Skills Assessment (BST) and the Math Placement Assessment (MPT). There is a list of topics covered on the BST, a set of sample questions and their solutions on the BST Page. Please review this material before coming to take the BST.
- All Other Majors: Take the Math Placement Assessment (MPT). Instructions on how to complete the assessment are given below.
- Majors in the College of Science and Technology, as well as Business, economics, psychology, or sociology: To get a correct schedule for fall semester you need to take the Math Placement Exam prior to the start of your first semester at Millersville University. The only students who are exempt from this exam are those who have received AP/IB credit for a 100 level MATH course (or higher) or who have received college credit for a 100-level (or above) mathematics course.
- Exploratory Program/Undeclared Students: You need to take the Math Placement Exam prior to the start of your first semester at MU to support your major exploration unless you have college credit for a 100 level MATH course.
- Other Majors (Art, Communications, English, History, Government, Foreign Language, Music, Philosophy, etc.): If you are a student in any other major: it is highly recommended that you take the Math Placement Assessment before arriving on campus.
For more information, please contact the Department of Mathematics at 717-871-7668.
How do I take a placement assessment?
- The Basic Skills Assessment is offered regularly throughout the Fall and Spring semesters and during the summer. To register, visit the BST Page.
- There are 2 options for the Math Placement Assessment.
- On-campus placement assessment. You can schedule this by contacting the Math Department Office (717-871-7668). This assessment is free of charge and takes approximately 30 minutes. This is designed to be taken once and provide an appropriate mathematics course placement. You may not use a calculator during this assessment.
- Online through ALEKS. This is an assessment tool which is designed to ascertain your mathematical preparedness. The assessment will be done using ALEKS PPL and it will be proctored by Respondus Monitor. To take the assessment on ALEKS you will need a computer with an internet connection and web camera. The online providers charge a one-time $30 fee. To pay this fee you will need a credit card. This assessment can be taken up to 5 times (following a review of material) if you believe that your placement can be improved.
- Details about accessing and using ALEKS are HERE. ALEKS is set up so that if you do not do as well as you would have liked to, you can review (ALEKS gives you a personal “pie” of topics and problems) and redo the assessment.
- For questions that require a calculator an online calculator will be available in ALEKS.