Mathematics Placement Testing
Who must take a placement test?
A math placement assessment is required of all entering students unless you are transferring credit for a 100 level (or higher) MATH course. Students entering Millersville normally take the placement exam during summer orientation sessions.
How do I take a placement test?
- Students entering Millersville normally take the placement exam during summer orientation sessions. Both the Math Placement Test and the Basic Skills Test are offered during these sessions. See below for which test you are required to take. Placement Testing Dates: Summer 2019
- If you have not taken the placement exam during the summer orientation session, you may arrange to take the Math Placement Test by contacting the Mathematics Department at 717-871-7668. If you are in need of any special accommodations, please contact the Office of Learning Services at 717-871-5554.
- The Basic Skills Test is offered on three dates during each of the Fall and Spring semesters. Dates and times are posted on the BST Page.
Which placement test should I take?
- Early Childhood and Middle Level Education Majors ONLY:
- Incoming students who have declared Early Childhood Education and incoming students who are currently undeclared but intend to declare Elementary Education as a major need to take the Basic Skills Test (BST). There is a list of topics covered on the BST, a set of sample questions and their solutions on the BST Page. Please review this material before coming to take the BST.
- Incoming students who have declared Middle Level Education as their major or who are currently undeclared but intend to declare Middle Level Education as a major will be taking both the Basic Skills Test (BST) and the Math Placement Test (MPT). There is a list of topics covered on the BST, a set of sample questions and their solutions on the BST Page. Please review this material before coming to take the BST.
- All Other Majors: Take the Math Placement Test (MPT)
- Majors in the College of Science and Technology, as well as Business, economics, psychology, or sociology: To get a correct schedule for fall semester you need to take the Math Placement Exam prior to the start of your first semester at Millersville University. The only students who are exempt from this exam are those who have received AP/IB credit for a 100 level MATH course (or higher) or who have received college credit for a 100-level (or above) mathematics course.
- Exploratory Program/Undeclared Students: You need to take the Math Placement Exam prior to the start of your first semester at MU to support your major exploration unless you have college credit for a 100 level MATH course.
- Other Majors (Art, Communications, English, History, Government, Foreign Language, Music, Philosophy, etc.): If you are a student in any other major: If you attend one of the Next Steps Days, it is highly recommended that you take the placement test at that time. However, you may wait and take the math placement test after you arrive on campus. It will be offered during fall semester before registration.
For more information, please contact the Department of Mathematics at 717-871-7668.