Requirements to be an NSF S-STEM Scholar
Scholarship Acceptance Agreement
Upon receiving the National Science Foundation S-STEM scholarship at Millersville University, scholars agree to the following terms and conditions in order to maintain scholarship eligibility.
Note: ‘Academic year’ herein indicates Fall/Spring terms. Winter and summer terms are excluded from ‘Academic year’.
- Scholars will limit paid work hours on-campus and off-campus to 15 hours per week during the academic year while they are receiving the Scholarship from the NSF S3
- Scholars will participate in at least 80% of CoBRA activities (at least 5/6 events) during the academic year. (There are 3 CoBRA events per Fall semester and 3 CoBRA events per Spring semester.)
- Scholars will participate in the Workforce Development Program for the entirety of the three weeks it operates between their 1st and 2nd years.
- Scholars understand two weeks operate on the Millersville Campus and one week operates at the Chincoteague Bay Field Station on Wallops Island.
- Scholars understand this is a paid program and room and board will be covered.
- Scholars understand that once they participate in this program, they do not have other summer commitments as part of this scholarship.
- Scholars will participate in at least 80% of the peer mentoring activities and 100% of the faculty mentoring activities.
- Scholars understand their faculty mentor will require a monthly meeting.
- Scholars understand their peer mentor will require a weekly meeting and attendance at a non-scholarship event each semester.
- Scholars will maintain a minimum 2.8 cumulative Grade Point Average at Millersville University.
- Scholars understand the Scholarship is not transferable to another university and must be used at Millersville University.
- Scholars agree to participate in regular surveys and interviews pertaining to their progress in the scholarship program.
- Scholars agree for their demographic, interview, and survey information to be used in peer-reviewed publications, presentations and NSF reports related to the scholarship outcomes. Scholars understand personal identifying information will not be released.
- Scholars understand the scholarship is only applicable to a full-time Millersville University student, defined as at least 12 credits per semester in the academic year.
- Scholars understand winter and summer course tuition is not covered by this scholarship, nor are work hours limited during winter and summer courses.
- Scholars understand they may lose the S3 scholarship if they take a leave of absence, a medical leave of absence, are expelled, suspended, or withdraw from Millersville University.
- Scholars understand the S3 scholarship only covers 4 consecutive years at Millersville University in one of the 7 disciplines outlined in point 13.
- Scholars understand the Scholarship is only receivable as long as my major is one of the following B.S. majors: chemistry, biology, physics, robotics, earth sciences, math, computer sciences. Scholars may change their major within these disciplines but may not retain the S3 scholarship if they exit these majors.
- Scholars understand Allied Health majors and students pursuing clinical degrees are excluded from this scholarship, even though they are within the biology department.
- Scholars understand B.S.E. majors are excluded from this scholarship.
- Scholars understand not all AEST majors are eligible for this scholarship.
- Scholars hereby grant Millersville University Communications & Marketing permission to use their likeness in photography/video or other digital reproduction in any and all of its publications, including website entries and social media channels without payment or any other consideration. Scholars further give permission to Millersville University to share this image for use in any and all of its publications, including website entries, without payment or any other consideration. Scholars understand and agree that these materials will become the property of University Communications & Marketing and will not be returned. In addition, Scholars waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product, including written or electronic copy, or the use to which it may be applied, wherein their likeness appears.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 2130176. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.