Summer 2023 Open Homework System Adoption
Call for Participants
The Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) seeks departments to collaborate on Open Homework System Adoption.
For the past few years Drs. Nicole Pfannenstiel and Dan Albert have worked with the Millersville Bookstore and Akademos to track OER adoption across campus, to follow trends from the OTI program and trends as faculty share resources with peers. Based on this adoption data, we both concluded that homework systems are the technology keeping faculty from further adoption.
The Open Homework System Adoption track focuses on adopting existing homework systems to meet the needs of learners and faculty, while shifting the courses to OER materials. This group will reach out to departments, collaborate with departments, and support useful adoption of an open homework system to meet Millersville student needs.
If you are interested in collaborating on this project, please contact Nicole Pfannenstiel.
Greg Szczyrbak and Scott Anderson have identified some existing open homework systems, Greg, Scott, and Nicole will reach out to departments.
Faculty Leads will be compensated with $3,000 summer stipend upon successful completion of all deliverables.
Faculty Adopters will be compensated with $1,000 stipend upon successful adoption of OER, open homework system, and completion of all deliverables.
- Collaborate with departments to meet existing technology and classroom learner needs
- Engage through discussions about existing open homework systems
- Develop a path to adopt open homework systems in Fall 2023 courses
- Support Fall 2023 open homework system and textbook adoption in Fall 2023 courses
Faculty leaders and faculty adopters will be identified.
Open Homework system will be identified by late Spring 2023.
- Project leads will submit a report on their progress: due May 15th, 2023.
- Project leads will complete work by July 1st, 2023.
Faculty Adopters will work with open homework system and open texts to design Fall 2023 courses.
- Faculty Adopters will be identified by March 1st, 2023.
- Faculty Adopters will work with open textbook materials. Faculty will submit a report on their textbook adoption due March 30th, 2023.
- Faculty Adopters will work with open homework system for Fall 2023 course(s). Report due August 28th, 2023.
Project leads who complete all appropriate steps and contribute to the work of this project will be compensated with $3,000 summer stipend.
Faculty Adopters who complete all appropriate steps and adopt an open textbook AND open homework system (course textbook costs = $0) will be compensated with $1,000 stipend.
Reach out to Nicole if interested.
Nicole, Greg, and Scott will reach out to departments based on existing open homework systems.
Homework System Mentors
- Dr. A Nicole Pfannenstiel, Associate Professor, English & World Languages, Coordinator of the Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence
- Professor Greg Szczyrbak, Associate Professor, Chair, McNairy Library
- Professor Scott Anderson, Associate Professor, McNairy Library
- Faculty Leaders from within adopting departments to be identified
- Faculty Adopters from within adopting departments to be identified