About The Center
Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence
On September 21, 2021, the Millersville University Council of Trustees voted unanimously to create the Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence. This makes us the first named center for faculty professional development in the PASSHE system. Not only does this designation honor the legacy of Dr. Vilas A. Prabhu’s more than seventeen years of distinguished service and leadership, it also recognizes the value faculty professional development programming brings to the campus community.
During his time at Millersville, Dr. Prabhu was instrumental in the Open Educational Resources adoption project the Open Textbook Initiative. Dr. Prabhu’s support of the collaborative work between the Center and the OER Working Group helped us save students over one million dollars in textbooks fees between 2019 and 2021.
Additionally, Dr. Prabhu advanced the development of online programs, and advanced degree programs. He also championed civic engagement, diversity and inclusion, experiential learning, high-impact practices, service learning, and undergraduate research. His support of these approaches to teaching aided faculty in developing student-centered learning spaces.
The purpose of the Millersville University's Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) is to:
- provide professional development across the teaching-learning scholarship spectrum;
- support campus wide learning communities;
- fosters innovative instructional strategies to promote learning through evidence based practice;
- examine local, state, and national trends and potential impact on the campus community;
- respond proactively to university faculty needs; and
- offer resources to support teaching, scholarship, and service endeavors.
The mission of Millersville University’s Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) is to:
- promote excellence in teaching and learning;
- encourage an atmosphere of collaboration and scholarly inquiry as an integral part of teaching and learning;
- provide resources and programs to assist faculty with their professional development as educators;
- promote a campus environment that fosters scholarship;
- encourage teaching practices that are grounded in scholarship;
- enhance learning through support of interdisciplinary collaborations across the university;
- develop services and programs for faculty members of all experience levels;
- engage critical thinking and discussion through open forums; and
- establish and maintain mutually supportive relationships with other institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania.
Types of Programs
The Vilas A. Prabhu Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) offers a variety of Professional Development Sessions, Instructional Technology Workshops and Sessions, Faculty Learning Communities, Pedagogy+ workshops, Pre-Tenure sessions, Faculty Fellows grant programs, CAE Professional Development Sessions, CAE Teaching & Innovative Education sessions, CAE Accessibility sessions, and CAE Inclusive Practices sessions. The CAE also facilitates special events, such as the Promotion and Tenure panel, the Assessment Luncheon, and the Spring Colloquium. These faculty-centered events and sessions are designed to support faculty building student-centered, engaging learning environments, growing as teachers and scholars, and growing in their professional career here at Millersville University. Suggestions for new topics and presenters are always welcomed. Please contact Dr. A Nicole Pfannenstiel if you have any recommendations.
Plan to attend the CAE events this semester! Check out our Professional Development Opportunities page to see what we have scheduled for this semester.