Intern Teacher Certification Program
About the Program
The Intern Teacher Certification Program at Millersville University is reserved almost exclusively for two categories of students.
- First, persons who are already teaching in private schools without a standard Instructional Certificate. Their admission to this program permits the use of their employment setting to fulfill field placement requirements.
- Second, school districts are sometimes very desirous of employing certain uncertified individuals for very specific reasons. Inclusion in the intern program makes such arrangements possible.
Additional information can be found on PDE's website through these links:
Admission to the Program
The prospective student must first apply to the Graduate Studies Office. This application seeks admission to Millersville University as a post-baccalaureate certification student (see Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program). The University's receipt of the appropriate materials sets in motion the process of reviewing the candidate's credentials and determining the sequenced requirements which must be met for recommendation for acceptance into the program and for certification. This review process is done on an individual basis. If the student is offered admission and decides to enroll, he/she is admitted as a regular post-baccalaureate certification student--not a teacher intern.
Several additional requirements must be met before the student may become a Teacher Intern, a special category of post-baccalaureate certification student.
- First, the student must enroll at Millersville University and take at least two courses. Millersville faculty need to become acquainted with the student before considering intern status.
- Second, the student must take and pass the standardized tests which are mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (the appropriate Specialty Area Test required for certification).
- Third, if the student has an opportunity for employment as a teacher in the subject where certification is being pursued, a letter on District Letterhead from the employing school/District must be submitted to the Certification Office with the following information:
- Student name.
- Date the job begins.
- What the job offer is (e.g. Secondary Math Teacher).
- The Certification Office will review the materials and render a decision of possible acceptance into the Intern Program.
- Fourth, application materials are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, any additional steps required of the applicant will be outlined at this time.
Fulfillment of the Program
In fulfilling the program the student must complete the courses and field assignments as listed on the individual requirement sheet produced through the review of credentials.
- All courses listed on the student's individual requirement sheet must be completed.
- The student teaching assignment will be undertaken as early in the program as possible. This assignment may be in the place of employment where the Intern Teaching Certificate is being used.
- A university student teaching supervisor will be assigned to the intern student. That university supervisor will conduct at least the university required minimum number of classroom observations and conferences indicated for student teaching supervision. The university supervisor will be available for student-initiated contacts. Since the intern teacher has no cooperating teacher for support, the university supervisor is aware that the intern teacher might require more attention and support than might otherwise be indicated.
Completion of the Program
When all program requirements have been met and the official report of passing scores in the Praxis standardized tests are in the Certification Office at Millersville University, applications initiated by the candidate for the Instructional I Certificate will be processed from the Certification Office at Millersville to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (see the Applying for Certification / Program Completion Home Page).