Commencement FAQs

If you have a question that is not addressed here, please email

  • Ticket Information

    Registered graduates will be allotted up to four guest tickets for their respective ceremony. Please know that all ceremonies will be livestreamed so those who are not able to attend in person will be able to join the celebration. The ceremonies will also be archived for viewing at a later date.

    Back to top
  • What college do I belong in?
    Back to top
  • When will I get my degree?

    Your degree is the credential of your program of study: BSE-Bachelor of Science in Education; BS-Bachelor of Arts; BDES- Bachelor of Design; BSN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing, etc. Your degree is conferred when all requirements have been met, and this is tracked on your degree audit. When all requirements have green checkmarks and your degree audit states that 100% of requirements have been met the Office of the Registrar will confer your degree. Due to changes in deadlines impacted by COVID-19 this may be slightly later than usual. For example, you should see your degree awarded the first week of June if you finished at the end of spring semester. Summer degrees should be conferred approximately two weeks after the end of each summer term. You will see your degree listed in MAX and on a transcript.

    Back to top
  • When will I get my diploma?

    A diploma is the ceremonial document showing your earned credential, so when all your requirements are met and your degree is conferred a diploma will be prepared and mailed to you.


    Back to top
  • What about the commencement ceremony?

    Millersville University is looking forward to honoring the Classes of 2020 and 2021 by hosting in-person ceremonies in May 2021.

    Thursday, May 6 at 5 p.m.
    Undergraduate ceremony for May 2020, December 2020 and winter 2021 graduates

    Friday, May 7 at 5 p.m.
    Graduate ceremony for Spring 2020 and Spring 2021 Grad Studies graduates

    Saturday, May 8:
    Undergraduate ceremonies for May 2021 undergraduates

    • 10 a.m. College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences & Lombardo College of Business
    • 3 p.m. College of Education and Human Services & College of Science and Technology

    The ceremonies are scheduled to be held outdoors in Biemesderfer stadium, rain or shine. Various safety measures will include appropriate social distancing, limiting potential touchpoints and the requirement to wear facial coverings. Registration and tickets will be required for all graduates and their guests.

    All ceremonies will be livestreamed so those who are not able to attend in person will be able to join the celebration. The ceremonies will also be archived for viewing at a later date.

    If circumstances require, including the threat of severe weather, the alternate plan will be to host the ceremonies as livestreamed virtual events.

    Back to top
  • Do I have to come to a Commencement ceremony to get my degree or diploma?

    No. Neither degree conferral nor diploma delivery require attendance at a commencement ceremony.

    Back to top
  • I chose to receive a pass/fail grade for one of my requirements (major, minor, required related, general education, etc.) and it is not falling into that requirement on my degree audit. Does that mean that I won’t graduate?

    No. For spring semester 2020 pass/fail grades have been approved to meet your degree requirements. However, if that requirement has a minimum grade threshold (ex: must earn a minimum of C-) the Registrar’s office must put the course into the requirement manually. Reviewing degree requirements for this situation is our top priority for our graduates so that we can confer degrees, but delays may occur if many seniors choose the pass/fail option.

    Back to top
  • I listed one address on my graduation application, but now I’m at a different address. How will my diploma get to me?

    Please email the registrar’s office if your post-graduation address has changed. We cannot guarantee that the United States Post Office will forward your diploma and they often get returned to the University. Even if you do not remember the address you listed on your graduation application please email with a current address if you think there could be any issues with receiving your diploma.

    Back to top
  • How can I verify that I have earned my degree without a diploma?

    The official record of your academic record is your transcript, where all degrees, concentrations and honors are listed. You can order official transcripts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week online on the Millersville University website:

    If a potential employer would like to verify your degree, our resource is the National Student Clearinghouse:

    Back to top
  • Can I order my cap and gown?
    Yes. Commencement regalia can be ordered through the MU Bookstore and will be shipped to you.
    Back to top
  • Am I able to come to campus to take photos in my cap and gown?

    Yes, students are allowed to come to campus to take outside photos. Groups should be no larger than five to six people. If you see another group taking photos when you arrive, please wait in your car until they finish taking photos. Please bring masks with you. If you come in contact with another unrelated group, please wear your mask and maintain a social distance of six feet.

    Back to top