A Message From The Department Chair
Welcome from Dr. Jack Ogutu, Department Chair
Thank you for considering a degree from the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology at Millersville University. The department serves approximately 500 students and offers six baccalaureate degrees at present. Technology & Engineering Education teacher preparation is for those interested in becoming Technology & Engineering Education Teachers at the K-12 levels; the Occupational Safety & Environmental Health major is offered for those seeking to become safety professionals; our Automation and Intelligent Robotics is for those students with a keen interest in advanced robotics, industrial automation and programming applications; Manufacturing Engineering Technology is a very technical program that serves students with interest in the manufacturing industry. It includes coursework in materials & processes, manufacturing, drafting & design and automation. Lastly, our Applied Engineering and Technology Management program is for students whose career paths take them towards applied engineering and management professions. Applied Engineering & Technology Management majors specialize in one of seven different technical concentration options including Advanced Manufacturing, Computer Aided Drafting/Design, Construction Technology, Nanofabrication Manufacturing, Graphic Communications/Printing, Robotics & Control Systems, and General Technology. We also offer a Master's Degree in Technology & Innovation that caters to educators as well as those employed in the private sector through an enterprise track.
So why choose us? Here are a few of my favorite reasons in no particular order:
- All of your courses will be taught by faculty! That’s right, no courses are taught by graduate assistants. Not one! Our faculty members are in the classroom teaching undergraduate courses on a regular basis, and, we like it that way!
- Our extra-curricular opportunities are exceptional. Our clubs regularly participate in professional conferences, competitions, service projects competitions, social events and more.
- Lancaster County is a great place to attend school. From its scenic beauty to its small-town feel with reasonable proximity to big cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and New York there is something for everyone to like about Lancaster.
- Millersville is a bargain compared to many schools. I don’t know how many students from out of state have told me that our out-of-state tuition is similar to their in-state tuition, and that made the decision to choose Millersville an easy one. We are a bargain at home as well. Compare our tuition and room and board to other schools around the state and make your own decision.
- We are where the jobs are! Our students are routinely employed within their respective fields upon graduation and we offer the data to prove it. Come and tour our facility and see the hundreds of business cards of our alumni that line our hallways.
Now, see yourself studying in a great place to live, with a quality faculty, in an exceptional facility, at a reasonable price, majoring in a subject that will lead to outstanding employment opportunities. All of us from the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology wish you the best as you make your decision about pursuing higher education. Please feel free to contact our office if you would like additional information or to arrange a personal meeting with a degree program coordinator.
Department & Subject Area Leadership
Please feel free to contact any of the people below with questions about our programs and activities.
Dr. Jack Ogutu
Dr. Sharon Brusic
Dr. John Wright
Dr. Betty-Jo Bowers
Dr. John Haughery
Dr. Alex Johnson
Dr. Scott Warner
Schedule a visit to Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology
University Open House Days and Personal Tours Available.
The best way to get to know us is to come and see us!
Several opportunities are available throughout the year for you to come and visit the Millersville University campus to learn about the programs offered, student life, financial aid, and the application process. Please click on Admissions Department to go to their page.
We are also available to meet with interested students and their families at times other than the scheduled open house days. Please email or call us using the information below. We'll schedule a time to meet with you and connect you with a professor who specializes in your area of interest.
AEST News Blog and Department Information
Keep up on the latest things happening in and around the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology. You can see what the students and staff are doing right now, and back issues of the former AEST Newsletter, Abbozzare, are available.
Osburn Hall Building Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday
7:30am - 4:30 p.m. Friday
Resources for Professionals
Click here or on the image to the left to download your copy of the Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology poster. The Department would be pleased in you used an AEST poster to decorate your classroom, guidance counselor's suite, or your dorm room with one!
AEST Undergraduate Recruiting Presentation
Click here or on the image to the left to open a copy of the AEST undergraduate recruiting presentation. If you need an editable copy, please contact Bill.Horst@millersville.edu.