A Message From The Department Chair
Welcome from Dr. Jack Ogutu, Department Chair
Thank you for considering a degree from the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology at Millersville University. The department serves approximately 500 students and offers six baccalaureate degrees. Technology & Engineering Education teacher preparation is for those interested in becoming Technology & Engineering Education Teachers at the K-12 levels; the ABET-Accredited Occupational Safety & Environmental Health major is offered for those seeking to become Occupational Safety and Health professionals both in general and construction environments; our Automation and Robotics Engineering Technology is for those students with a keen interest in advanced robotics, industrial automation and programming applications; Manufacturing Engineering Technology is a very technical program that serves students with interest in the manufacturing industry. It includes coursework in materials & processes, manufacturing, drafting & design and automation. Lastly, our Applied Engineering and Technology Management program is for students whose career paths take them towards applied engineering and management professions. Applied Engineering & Technology Management majors specialize in one of four different technical concentration including Computer Aided Drafting/Design, Construction Management, Graphic & Packaging Technology, and General Technology.
So why choose us? Here are a few of my favorite reasons in no particular order:
- Internships & jobs... We get you ready for the good paying careers! Almost all of our students complete paid internships in industry. Our students are routinely employed within their respective fields upon graduation, and we offer the data to prove it. Come and tour our facility and see the hundreds of business cards of our alumni that line our hallways. The average starting salaries for most of our majors is $65,000 per year.
- We help you make the connection with regional employers. Your professors keep in contact with local companies who seek out our students for internships before you graduate. Many regional employers also come to AEST hoping to consider you for full-time employment after graduation and hold resume sessions, information sessions, and on-the-spot interviews during the school year.
- All of your courses will be taught by faculty. Both undergraduate and graduate courses are taught by faculty members. Other universities have teaching assistants in the classroom, but AEST faculty members are in the classroom with you presenting the material, giving demonstrations, and working with you as you learn.
- Our extra-curricular opportunities are exceptional. Creating a community within AEST is one of our goals for our students. We have nine student organizations in AEST that support the degrees we offer. You'll be making life-long friends as you apply the knowledge from your studies in activities that relate your future chosen field of expertise.
- Millersville is a bargain compared to many schools. I don’t know how many students from out of state have told me that our out-of-state tuition is similar to their in-state tuition, and that made the decision to choose Millersville an easy one. We are a bargain at home as well. Compare our tuition and room and board to other schools around the state and make your own decision.
- Lancaster County is a great place to attend school. From its scenic beauty to its small-town feel with reasonable proximity to big cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and New York there is something for everyone to like about Lancaster.
Now, see yourself studying in a great place to live, with a quality faculty, in an exceptional facility, at a reasonable price, majoring in a subject that will lead to outstanding employment opportunities. All of us from the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology wish you the best as you make your decision about pursuing higher education. Please feel free to contact our office if you would like additional information or to arrange a personal meeting with a degree program coordinator.
Department & Subject Area Leadership
Please feel free to contact any of the people below with questions about our programs and activities.
Dr. Jack Ogutu
Dr. Sharon Brusic
Dr. John Wright
Dr. Betty-Jo Bowers
Dr. John Haughery
Dr. Alex Johnson
Dr. Scott Warner
Schedule a visit to Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology
University Open House Days and Personal Tours Available.
The best way to get to know us is to come and see us!
Several opportunities are available throughout the year for you to come and visit the Millersville University campus to learn about the programs offered, student life, financial aid, and the application process. Please click on Admissions Department to go to their page.
We are also available to meet with interested students and their families at times other than the scheduled open house days. Please email or call us using the information below. We'll schedule a time to meet with you and connect you with a professor who specializes in your area of interest.
AEST News Blog and Department Information
Keep up on the latest things happening in and around the Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology. You can see what the students and staff are doing right now, and back issues of the former AEST Newsletter, Abbozzare, are available.
Osburn Hall Building Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday
7:30am - 4:30 p.m. Friday
Resources for Professionals
Click here or on the image to the left to download your copy of the Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology poster. The Department would be pleased in you used an AEST poster to decorate your classroom, guidance counselor's suite, or your dorm room with one!