Center For Disaster Research & Education
About the Center
The Center for Disaster Research and Education (CDRE) takes great pride in its association with a number of educational and research projects across the nation. The CDRE has been involved in a variety of community-based research projects including the development of disaster plans, state hazard mitigation planning, business community branding and education.
The Center's faculty and students conduct research on various issues related to disasters, mitigation and planning. The CDRE has been involved in research funded through the National Science Foundation, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and in collaboration with other academic research centers.
The Center for Disaster Research and Education in collaboration with the International Association of Emergency Managers will be offering a Preparatory (Prep) Course for the Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) and Associate Emergency Management (AEM) exams as well as the CEM and AEM exam on Friday, September 4, 2020 on the campus of Millersville University in Stayer Building, Room 108. The Prep Course will be from 8:00am-1:00pm, and the proctored CEM and AEM exams will take place from 2:00pm-4:00pm. Visit https://www.iaem.org/Events/Event-Info/sessionaltcd/SEPT04PREP by Friday, August 21, 2020 to register. For more information about the Prep Course, the CEM, and AEM, please see information from the IAEM website below.
The preparatory course includes: Review of CEM program requirements (experience, education, professional contributions and more); explanation of the AEM program requirements; application procedures; tips for successful program completion; an overview of the AEM/CEM exam; the standards upon which the exam is based; sample exam questions; and a Q&A period. Please come prepare to ask specific questions related to the program and/or to your personal credentials submission.
- Purpose: To relieve exam anxiety, not to teach emergency management principles.
- How: Discuss the AEM/CEM exam mechanics; facilitate an interactive discussion of emergency management principles; cross-walk through practice exam questions.
- Who should attend? The AEM/CEM Exam Prep Course is intended for professional emergency managers interested in obtaining the Certified Emergency Manager designation. A Certified Emergency Manager is an individual who possesses the knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively manage a comprehensive disaster/emergency management program. That program can be in, but is not limited to, government, business and industry, military, health care or educational institutions.
- Cost: $495 per person
- Note: The Prep Course does not teach emergency management principles.
What is a Certified Emergency Manager?
Here are just a few of the reasons why many employers now list the CEM as a job requirement when posting open positions for emergency managers:
- A Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) has the knowledge, skills and ability to effectively manage a comprehensive emergency management program.
- A CEM has a working knowledge of all the basic tenets of emergency management, including mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.
- A CEM has experience and knowledge of interagency and community-wide participation in planning, coordination and management functions designed to improve emergency management capabilities.
- A CEM can effectively accomplish the goals and objectives of any emergency management program in all environments with little or no additional training orientation.
What is an Associate Emergency Manager?
- An AEM shows dedication to the field of Emergency Management for individuals who do not meet the CEM requirements.
- An AEM has achieved a benchmark for professionalism by meeting the training, references, and essay application requirements as well as passing the certification exam.
Emergency Management Program is "Best"
Millersville University topped the 2019 national rankings of Best Online Master’s in Emergency Management...Read More
Intelligent ranks Millersville #1
Intelligent.com has ranked Millersville as having one of the best Master's in Emergency Management Degree...Learn More
Emergency Management Program Named "Best Online"
Millersville University named Best Online Master's Program by BestColleges...
- For Prospective Students
- Social Media
46 West Cottage Avenue
Millersville, PA 17551
Monday 8:30AM to 2PM
Tuesday 8:30AM to 2PM
Wednesday 8:30AM to 2PM
Thursday 8:30AM to 2PM
Friday 8:30AM to 2PM
Closed University observed holidays
Tel: (717) 871-7549