Office: Caputo 321
Phone: (717) 871-7416
M: 9:00 - 11:00 am
W: 9:00 - 11:00 am
F: 9:00 - 10:00 am
Comments: Spring 2022
- B.Ed. [Sc.] - Kenyatta University-Nairobi, 1987
- M.Sc. - University of Nairobi-Kenya, 1993
- Ph.D. - University of Connecticut, 1999
- Post-doctoral research - Pennsylvania State University
- Chemistry! Better Things for Better Living (CHEM 101)
- Fundamentals of Chemistry (Chem 110)
- Introductory Chemistry I and II (Chem 111 and 112)
- Introductory Chemistry II Seminar (CHEM 113H)
- General, Organic and Biochemistry I and II Lab (Chem 103 and 104)
- Quantitative Analysis (Chem 265)
- Environmental Chemistry I and II (Chem 375 and 476)
- Chemistry in Nanotechnology (Chem 312)
- Analytical Chemistry Lab (Chem 465)
Dr. Mbindyo’s research interests are in the areas of nanotechnology, environmental and analytical chemistry. He is also interested in the development of instructional materials for undergraduates in these areas. Research topics include:
- Analysis of persistent organic pollutants in biotissue using microemulsions as green solvents.
- Biodegradable and magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery and medical diagnostics.
- Catalytic nanoparticles and functionalized nanowires for fuel cells, chemical and biosensors.
- Development of undergraduate laboratory experiments in several areas of chemistry.
- Stream biogeochemistry and watershed studies in the Lancaster area (collaborative project - Millersville University Center for Environmental Sciences – MUCES)
About Dr. Jeremiah K. N. Mbindyo
Dr. Mbindyo joined the Chemistry Department in August of 2002. Before coming to Millersville, Dr. Mbindyo did post doctoral research at Pennsylvania State University in the area of nanotechnology.
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, Stephen A. Michaylira, and David M. DeMarco “Stamping Lithography: An Undergraduate Experiment in Nanotechnology.”Chem. Educ.,13, 2008 236-239.
- Civia A. Katz, Zachary J. Calzola and Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo “Structure and Solvent Properties of Microemulsions” J. Chem. Ed., 85, 2008 263-265.
- Alynne L. Hanson, Civia A. Katz and Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, “Extraction of Pollutants From Fish Tissue for Analysis Using Microemulsion” J. Undergrad. Chem. Res., 5, 2006 71-74.
- S. Zális, I. Kratochvilova, A. Zambova, J. Mbindyo, T. E. Mallouk and T. S. Mayer “Combined experimental and theoretical DFT study of molecular nanowires negative differential resistance and interaction with gold clusters” Eur. Phys. J. E 18, 2005 201-206.
- Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, Thomas E. Mallouk, James B. Mattzela, Irena Kratochvilova, Baharak Razavi, Thomas N. Jackson, Theresa S. Mayer; “Template Synthesis of Metal Nanowires Containing Monolayer Molecular Junctions” J. Am. Chem. Soc.,124, 2002 4020-4026.
- Irena Kratochvilova, M. Kocirik, Adriano Zambova, Jeremiah Mbindyo, Thomas. E. Mallouk, and Theresa. S. Mayer, "Room Temperature Negative Differential Resistance In Molecular Nanowires, " J. Mater. Chem., 12, 2002 2927-2930.
- David J. Pena, Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, Anthony J. Carado, Thomas E. Mallouk, Christine D. Keating, Baharak Razavi, Theresa S. Mayer ”Template Growth of Photoconductive Metal-CdSe-Metal Nanowires “ J. Phys. Chem. B. , 106, 2002 7458-7462.
- Jeremiah K. N. Mbindyo, Brian D. Reiss, Benjamin R. Martin, Christine D. Keating, Michael J. Natan and Thomas E. Mallouk “DNA directed Assembly of Gold Nanowires on modified Gold Surface” Adv. Mater., 13, 2001 249-254.
- Nina I. Kovtyukhova, Benjamin R. Martin, Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, Peter A. Smith, Baharak Razavi, Theresa S. Mayer and Thomas E. Mallouk “Layer by Layer Assembly of Rectifying Junctions in and on Metal Nanowires” J. Phys. Chem. B, 105(37), 2001 8762-8769.
- Peter A. Smith, Christopher D. Nordquist Thomas N. Jackson , Theresa S. Mayer, Benjamin R. Martin, Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo and Thomas E. Mallouk “Electric-field assisted assembly and alignment of metallic nanowires” Appl. Phys. Lett., 77, 2000 1399-1401.
- Jeremiah K.N. Mbindyo, Liping P Zhou, Zhe Zhang, James D. Stuart and James F. Rusling “Detection of Chemically Induced DNA Damage by Derivative Square Wave Voltammetry” Anal. Chem. 72: (9), 2000 2059-2065.
- Jeremiah K. N. Mbindyo and James F. Rusling, “Catalytic Electrochemical Synthesis Using Nanocrystalline Titanium Dioxide Cathodes In Microemulsions” Langmuir, 14, 1998 7072-7033.
- Jeremiah K. N. Mbindyo, Maryam A. Ahmadi and James F. Rusling, “Pollutant Decomposition With Energy Recovery As Hydrogen Gas And Electricity” J. Electrochem. Soc. 144, 1997 3153-3158.