The Murley SURF program in chemistry at Millersville University is a rigorous summer research fellowship and requires a faculty mentor sponsor. Program qualifications to apply are as follows:
- Students must have a 3.5 GPA (or higher) at the time of application to the Murley SURF program.
- Students must have 45 earned credits at the time of application to the Murley SURF program.
- Students must obtain the permission of a faculty mentor to pursue the fellowship through the summer.
- Students must fill out an application, to be submitted to Dr. Allen.
The program involves a significant time and effort commitment on the part of the student, and compensates the student accordingly.
- Students are committed to 10 weeks of the summer, and are compensated $5,000.
- Students are registered for 3 credits of research for the summer, to be paid by the fellowship.
- Students are provided $1,500 for supplies and travel to present their work.
- Students must provide a brief biography to be posted to the Murley SURF website
- Students must coordinate with their faculty advisor on a project for the summer.
- Students must submit a formal research report to their mentor at the end of the summer, due 1 week after the completion of the program.
- Students must present during the fall speaker seminar series for the department on their research findings.
- Students must present their research at the National American Chemical Society Meeting (fall or spring) and at Made in Millersville.