African American And Latino Scholarships
The African American/Latino Alumni Scholarship Committee awards application-based scholarships for African American or Latino students. They are the African American/Latino Alumni Scholarship, the Parker-Jones-Womack Scholarship and the Francine G. and Gladys B. McNairy Scholarship.
About the Scholarships
- Established in 1992, the African American/ Latino Alumni Scholarship (AA/LAS) strives to recognize outstanding, involved African-American and Latino juniors and seniors and seeks to aid them in graduating from Millersville University. The AA/LAS scholarship was initially endowed in 1995 and continues to grow each year through generous support from alumni, friends, organizations, businesses, and parents. The endowment funds up to four one-time scholarships annually for undergraduate students of great promise. In addition to the AA/LAS Scholarships, the endowment funds one graduate award in memory of Keith S. Mills '78 who served on the committee until his death in 2003.
- The Parker-Jones-Womack Scholarship was founded by Kate Parker '76 and her family and friends. The endowment funds one scholarship annually and is renewable.
- The Francine G. and Gladys B. McNairy Scholarship was funded by former university president Francine G. McNairy in recognition of her service at Millersville and to honor the memory of her mother. The endowment funds up to two students annually.
- All undergraduate applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and have completed at least 36 credits.
- Candidates for these scholarships must complete an application, provide a letter of recommendation regarding community service, and demonstrate effective written communication skills through an essay.
- Applicants for the graduate scholarship must have 12 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Applicants may receive one or more of these awards.
How You Can Make a Difference
Gifts from individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses help increase the scholarship amounts we can offer. Make your gift online or send a check made payable to Millersville University Foundation with AA/LAS, Parker-Jones-Womack, or Francine G. and Gladys B. McNairy marked in the memo field to:
PO Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551
Meet the 2017-18 AA/LAS Scholarship Recipients
Olivia Benbow from Shippensburg, Pa is a senior majoring in Early Childhood Education. After graduation, Olivia would like to get a teaching job at Milton Hershey or in the Lancaster School District.
Mariadeliz Ralat Dejesus
Mariadeliz Dejesus from Lancaster, Pa will graduate in 2018 with a degree in school psychology. After graduation Mariadeliz plans to work in an urban setting as a school psychologist.
Nikole from Lititz, Pa is a senior majoring in Spanish Education. After graduation Nikole intends to teach ESL to immigrants and refugees in the Lancaster area.
AA/LAS Committee Members
- Antoine R. Wright '02, Chair
- Tamara Willis, PhD '99
- Garvia M. Hill '76
- April Lavong '81
- Angel L. Shelley-Royal '02
- Tiffany Jackson '94