School Nurse Certification
School Nurse Certification
The Wehrheim School of Nursing at Millersville University offers a school nurse certification option approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. All course content and time offerings are designed to meet the needs of the student, as well as State standards for certification. The school nurse certification program is a POST BACCALAUREATE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM. A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree and current licensure as a Registered Nurse in this state are required for certification of School Nurse Candidates.
Completion of the Graduate Admissions Application and an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 are required.
Admission into Certification Program
Applicants desiring admission to Millersville University should:
- Complete the admission graduate application at: https://www.millersville.edu/graduate/admissions/apply/post-baccalaureate-certification.php and submit with the fee, undergraduate transcripts, and letters of recommendation to the Graduate and Professional Studies, Millersville University, PO Box 1002, Millersville, PA 17551 (717-871-4723).
Upon admission to the School Nurse Certification Program, contact Dr. Dawn Lambert the School Nurse Program Coordinator (717)-871-4335 or firstname.lastname@example.org for advisement to discuss the program and course selection. The Wehrheim School of Nursing will send a packet of materials which must be completed and returned to the School prior to starting the first semester.
- Millersville University Wehrheim School of Nursing Affiliated Student Infectious Disease Summary for School Nurse Certification Students. (Includes most current immunizations for: hepatitis B; diphtheria/tetanus; tuberculosis; varicella, rubella/rubeola; and polio)
- Biographical Information Sheet
- Copy of Nursing License
- Copy of Malpractice Insurance ($1,000,000/$3,000,000 aggregate coverage)
- Copy of CPR Card from PA Department of Education approved list of CPR programs
- Act 34 Child Abuse Clearance
- Act 151 Criminal History Check
- Act 114 – FBI Fingerprinting (www.identogo.com PDE option)
Completion of the Certification Requirements
Graduate evidence of:
|EDFN 545:||Advanced Educational Psychology (3 s.h.); Offered spring B, summer, and fall with 1 online section/each semester|
|NURS 560:||School Nursing Clinical Practicum (5 s.h.); 3 credit theory and 2 credit clinical (100 hours). Clinical arrangements must be in place before June 1st in order to take course August. Offered only in fall.|
|School Nursing and Diverse Learners (3 s.h.); Offered in spring A semester. 7 week course|
|GPA 3.0:||Completion of all certification requirements.|
Upon completion of the requirements, an application must be submitted electronically through the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS). Supporting documentation pertaining to certification will be sent by the applicant directly to the state per the instructions in TIMS. A Level I certification will be awarded by the Department of Education. See Act 48 for continuing education requirements web site: https://www.education.pa.gov/Educators/ContinuinEd/Act%2048%20and%20PERMS/Pages/default.aspx
See Pennsylvania Department of Educational Regulations for Level II certification criteria. Website: http://www.education.pa.gov/Educators/Certification/PAEducators/Pages/LevelItoLevelII.aspx
Required Course Descriptions
Click here to view the Graduate Catalog course descriptions